Room-stat v. TRVs

Jasmin,
you are working late tonight. Thanks for your reply. I look forward to your investigations tomorrow. My fellow member on the DIYNOT forum is interested and the word is spreading.
Thank you
Regards
Terry

Sponsored Links
Bri160356
You hit the nail on the head about the LightwaveRF TRVs. New technology is not always reliable. The kit for my house would be circa £400 and a pay back of 3.3 years. The kit comes with a 2 year warranty. The kit could go wrong in year 3 and extend the pay back period. So this is the main negative for me at the moment. But overall positive.

Bri160356,
response from Jasmin at Megaman,
"Hi Terry,

I have called Lightwave rf (jsjs designs) , who have advised we are unable to comment on exactly how this system will operate as it is very much in planning and testing stages. The main idea is When a TRV valve opens it can call the wifi link to tell the boiler to fire up, which the system currently does not do.

You are more than welcome to talk to the manufactures direct if you wish 01212503624.

Megaman UK have the distribution rights in the UK so although we are very in the loop with new ideas and products there is only so much information we have in planning and testing progress.

Apologies I cannot be more specific.

Best regards,

Jazmin Ross
Megaman UK
01707 386000"

Sponsored Links
Put a room stat in the room occupied most and it will turn the whole house off when each occupant sits in there giving off a couple of hundred watts and the TV is on. That leaves little jimmy upstairs doing homework in the cold.

TRV's only in every room on whenever timed will close circulation and the boiler will run and cycle at it's setpoint temperature, usually far to high to get the blessed thing to condense which most do not as often as they should anyway.

Temp sensor in a representative place, hall, and preferably a modulating room stat that talks to the boiler not one that simply turns the thing on or off.

TRV's only and the boiler will cycle; each cycle increases rejected energy and the boiler flue becomes a heat loss.

Boilers too large for the load will cycle even more often.

Quality of TRV and other products is often more important than the fancy things they are said to do.

Heat genius is a name; it does not mean a genius is working your heating. Professional power drill does not mean it is the drill professionals use, it means that was the name marketing thought would sell more product. Ultimate adventure movie if real would mean there would be no need to make any more.

If you have a £400 bill and can work out savings from the sketchy details you gave DECC or the controls manufacturers association have a job for you

If you pay £400 a year and it takes 3.3 years to recoup £420 you have to save over 120 each year

I think this is a wind up

Bri160356,
you like me work from home and probably heat the whole house most of the day. May I ask you to do a calculation on your circumstances if you could heat only your study to show I am not having a laugh by saving £120 a year and getting a 3.3 year payback on a £420 outlay.
Thanks

Hi Bri160356
I've just discovered Honeywell HR20 programmable TRVs. Not wireless but allows for individual scheduling of TRVs. Only £34 on Amazon. Much better payback period.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back