Room stats and TRVs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am upgrading the controls on my CH system and want advice on where to put the room thermostats. :confused:

Background: I live in a large 3-floor victorian house. I am installing a 3 channel programmer so that I can heat the 4 bedrooms separately from the ground floor and DHW. The hall and stairs right up to the top floor are heated by a radiator on the ground floor. All radiators are fitted with Thermostatic Radiator Valves except the bathroom (first floor) which is where the room stat is at the moment.

Problem: The TRVs will shut off the rads in each room when that room gets up to the desired temp. I don't want a room stat to turn off before the rooms are warm enough, but I also don't want it calling for heat when all the TRVs are closed.

I know that room stats are digital (i.e. either calling for heat, or off) whilst TRVs are analogue (i.e. the warmer they get, the less flow they allow). Should I therefore have the upstairs channel as it is (bathroom rad with no TRV and the room stat in there) and put the door-stairs stat in the main living room whilst removing the TRV from the rad in there? Or does anyone know of a better solution?

Sponsored Links
Background: I live in a large 3-floor victorian house.
My last house was 3-floor Edwardian so I can understand your problem even the single rad in the hall which was expected to heat all the stairs and landings.

Do you really need a three channel programmer? This will require three zone valves. Are you intending to turn the bedroom rads off during the day and only turn them on in the evening, just before you go to bed?
A single channel optimizing combined stat/programmer, such as the Honeywell CM900 series combined with a simple single channel timer for the Hot Water would do a better job.

All radiators are fitted with Thermostatic Radiator Valves except the bathroom (first floor) which is where the room stat is at the moment.
Leave the bathroom rad as it is. But you should re-site the stat.

Should I therefore have the upstairs channel as it is (bathroom rad with no TRV and the room stat in there)
What happens when someone has a bath? The temperature rises and the stat shuts the boiler off - even if the rest of the house is still cold!

put the door-stairs stat in the main living room whilst removing the TRV from the rad in there? Or does anyone know of a better solution?
Put the stat in the hall, keeping it away from the front door and the radiator and remove the TRV from the hall radiator.

Problem: The TRVs will shut off the rads in each room when that room gets up to the desired temp. I don't want a room stat to turn off before the rooms are warm enough, but I also don't want it calling for heat when all the TRVs are closed.
The hall is probably the coldest part of the house so the TRVs in the rooms will close the rads down before the wall stat operates. If you find that the wall stat operates too early, close down the wheel valve on the hall rad so the hall heats up more slowly. A bit of experimentation will get the correct setting.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the advice. I'm beginning to get my head round it all.

The room stat I've bought (Honeywell T6360) seems to require a permanent live and neutral on terminals 1 and 2, with a neutral from the programmer on 3. Not understanding this!

Ignore my last post - I was having a blond moment. :oops: Terminal 1 is live, 2 is neutral, and 3 is the switched live.:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back