Cold spots and penetrating/condensation damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there thanks for your time.

I've been in my current house for 5 years I'm currently redecorating the first room we decorated when we moved in. At the time with no kids the room was my man cave its now in the process of becoming the kids room ha, the sacrifices we make eh.

Anyways I originally painted the walls a dark grey so any damp patches have gone unnoticed for years. Its only now if given it a coat of white that I've noticed them.

I've uploaded a picture basically the wall in question is single skin and is partially internal and partially external in my porch. Running my hand along the wall you can feel the warmth of the internal section and then cold when you hit the outside.

I don't want to damage anything inside so I'm asking what at my options on the outside to remedy this?

I'm thinking maybe tank the outside wall then fit 1" insulation on top the wall? It won't look great but should reduce the cold spot. Can any of you guys chip in with any other potential ideas?

Pictures area below,

IMG_20171127_091647.jpg
This is the internal wall the cold area is on the left hand side around 300mm in. The corresponding side is below,
IMG_20171127_091814.jpg
Its the section in the recess. Its go a dpc and mortar looks fine.

On the other side its the same,
IMG_20171127_091824.jpg
Except this side damp is penetrating the right hand side wall as seen in picture below,
IMG_20171127_091840.jpg

What are my options please guys, tank the outside and insulate? Render maybe? Is it worth injecting a new dpc in that area?

Hopefully this all makes sense thanks a lot for your time and any help.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
You don't need to tank it if it's just cold and mould, just the insulation. However you'll need to make sure no water can get behind the insulation.
On the side with low level damp check the ground level and leaking drains are at least y inches below the dpc. Also under the floor boards if any.
If it's still damp you can get some stuff to inject in for 15 quid a tube from wickes.

Hi john thanks for ya info.

The image where damp is visible at the bottom the wall to the right is an external double skin wall with cavity and 3 courses above ground level to the DPC. Where the damp is visible the other side is my porch area where there is only 1 course up to DPC and does sometimes get puddled water there so on that basis can I presume water is tracking over the DPC? Although looking at the external wall it seems dry where as inside its damp and its single skin?

For 15 quid Im going to pick up a tube of the dryzone DPC cream you mentioned and inject that into the DPC. There is minor mortar missing to from that side so I'll point that up to.

When drilling the holes should I go straight through the brick and through the other side or will say 90mm be fine, hoover out then inject?

Thanks alot

Sponsored Links
1 course up to DPC and does sometimes get puddled water there so on that basis can I presume water is tracking over the DPC?
Might be that, especially if it's splashing up when Ur rains.
Can you lower the ground levels and improve drainage and ideally slope away from the house,?
If it's an old house with slate dpcs or engineering bricks they may be just reducing the speed water can soak in but not 100%. Old houses more have to be in balance rather than everything being waterproof.
When drilling the holes should I go straight through the brick and through the other side or will say 90mm be fine, hoover out then inject?
Basically comes with instructions but it's 12mm holes and go 90% of the way through (or 40% through each side of a solid wall if you prefer) and then fill it up. For a single skin internal wall I used 2 tubes for a 4m run so for double skin you should manage a metre from a tube.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back