Penetrative damp - raised ground level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have slight penetrative damp. the outside ground is 5-6 inches higher at the left side of the exterior photo. Although an airbrick is probably necessary the work involved may be too much to install it direct, would it be effective if I installed 3 airbricks in the centre and ducted one of them to the corner?
I don't want to remove the cladding just yet due to the big job/cost involved but it may go in a years time.
The wall was re-rendered around 1991 (that was the date on the newspaper stopping the cement falling down the gap between floorboard and wall. In this area there is a small area of wet rot due to penetrative damp. Below the sleeper is a dpc and below it is damp to the touch but not wet.

What would be the best approach to this type of damp in this case?
Just replaster interior lime mortar.
Rake out and repoint cladding with lime.
Cementitous tanking.
Cavity membrane like newton or oldroyd?

Sponsored Links
I would try having a word with the Highways folk. The pavement may have been raised over time which wont help. Ideally the rainwater downpipe wants channelling properly to the road too. I had a problem with a blocked pipe under the pavement from the neighbours downpipe where our properties meet.

The council has resurfaced the road and half buried the outlet. One letter sent and recieved later, they kindly fitted a new channel across the path, no further damp issues. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back