Damp problems due to ground height?

Hack off all the plinth to just above the air brick height all the way round or cut the render back to 40mm to 50mm above ground level.
Rake out the beds and perps to about 20mm to 30mm and use a 3:1 mix of any sand and cement to point.

Sponsored Links
That's a bit strong . 6:1:1 Building sand : masonry cement ( better than opc) : lime.

Thanks Nige. I read that NHL 3.5 Lime mortar would be good for re-pointing?

I think I've found out why I'm getting the damp too. 90 mins ago I had heavy rain and now the gully is full with 2 inches of water sitting on the footings and not draining away - see photo. I think I will need to install a channel drain? Can I connect it to the waste down-pipe at the end of the alley? The path slopes that way anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_7032.jpg
    IMG_7032.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_7033.jpg
    IMG_7033.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 117
It was suggested that the soil pipe would be a fly in the ointment for drainage - maybe it is?
That all plinths needed shifting was mentioned in july & on monday.

By waste downpipe do you mean the soil pipe?

You say you have a gulley at the rear elevation so maybe that would help with any Aco drainage? Whats certain is that you will have to find a way of disposing of the water from the front and side elevation channels whether its from a French drain or an Aco?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It was suggested that the soil pipe would be a fly in the ointment for drainage - maybe it is?
=> Sorry I didn't know what you meant the first time you mentioned it. My question is can the channel drain be connected into the soil pipe?

That all plinths needed shifting was mentioned in july & on monday.
=> Yes I plan to do that but even after removing the plinth having standing water sitting against the brick work isn't going to be good either hence the question around the channel drain.

By waste downpipe do you mean the soil pipe?
=> Yes

You say you have a gulley at the rear elevation so maybe that would help with any Arco drainage? Whats certain is that you will have to find a way of disposing of the water from the front and side elevation channels whether its from a French drain or an Arco?
=> Yes that is my question of whether a channel (ACO) drain will do the job and can I connect to the soil pipe?

(And to note 5 hours after the rain stopped I've still got over an inch of water sitting there).

I wouldn't mess with the soil pipe - it would probably lead to knock-on complications.
You need someone on site to take you any further.

=> Yes that is my question of whether a channel (ACO) drain will do the job and can I connect to the soil pipe?

(And to note 5 hours after the rain stopped I've still got over an inch of water sitting there).
You can only connect to the soil pipe IF you have a combined sewer - rainwater and foul. Then you need to make an underground connection via a trapped gulley for the surface water.

Thanks all for your replies and taking the time with the advice.

I may have a combine sewer as currently I have rain water from my conservatory going into a drian with waste water from the kitchen / bathroom. But I'm going to get a plumber round to have a look and go further. In the meantine I've taken the plinth off to let it all breathe.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back