Chemical DPC...again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so here we go, again that old chestnut of chemical DPC. I have bought an old house circa 1900. The external walls are solid brick. The front of the house is higher than the back, with all the rooms on different levels. Makes for an interesting house, but a nightmare to do anything with LOL.

My question is this. The front room has all the signs of rising damp. IE rotten skirting, damp smell, and loose and bowing plaster, mouldy wall paper and a feint tide line. I am assuming the floor is suspended floor boards over lintels also wood. (I have yet to pluck up the courage to lift any boards.) The external road surface to the front of the house appears to be higher than the internal height of the floor boards. So am I safe to assume that could be part of the damp problem. However the path to the side of the house drops away and is considerably lower than the height of the internal floorboards. If I were to opt for a chemical dpc, would it be possible to inject the compound below the level of the lintels and prevent water rising up the front of the house, or would this be pointless as the ground level at the front of the house still allow the ingress of water. The path on the side wall allows easy access to the required section of wall.

Sponsored Links
If the ground level is too high it could be blocking the air bricks as well as causing damp in the wall. You need to drop the level at the front. You should also lift the floor boards to check for timber rot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back