Cold upstairs!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:( I have just moved into a new house and it's cold!
The boiler is a combi type and seems very efficient and new. The radiators downstairs are hot very quickly, but the upstairs rads do not heat up at all, not even the feed pipes on most of them.
I have tried bleeding them, but only one hissed a bit, but mostly nothing!
Is it sludge or do I have a broken bit?

Help please! :cool:

Sponsored Links
If it's a new house with a new heating system installed to meet current building regulations, then it sounds like there's a valve to control the upstairs radiators which is not working. But then you ask about sludge. This will take years to build up, so how old is the house?
Do you have a seperate wall thermostat upstairs? Is there a zone valve controlling the upstairs?
There may be an air lock in the pipes to the upstairs rads. Have you tried turning all of the radiators off, except for only one upstairs. If this makes a difference repeat for all radiators upstairs.
This is a starter, see if it helps.

Thanks for tips.
house is new to me - but is actually Victorian!
I would guess that the heating system is 5-10 years old.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's possibly a blockage or an air lock then (or a service valve thats been closed).
Try having only 1 rad open upstairs (and all otehrs, up and down, closed) turn the pump to full speed and try that.

Drain a cup of water from one of the drain cocks, if its black, the system may need cleaning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back