Cold water getting into the secondary return?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cold water getting into the secondary return?
Hi there, help please how is it possible for cold water to get into the secondary return flow back to the boiler.

I have a large house and a 300 L tank I have noticed that when I turn the hot tap on that the temperature on the secondary return Pipe to the tank cools rapidly. However if I turn off the cold water supply to the same circuit i.e. the first floor, then the temperature doesn’t drop. I hope this question makes sense?

Sponsored Links
is it a dedicated secondary return tapping or is the secondary return teed into the cold water inlet ?

I don’t know the answer to that but my question would be in what circumstances would it be teed into the cold water system?

With the exception of a couple of outlets and some taps all the showers and baths have hands grohe I boxes installed.

I don’t know the answer to that but my question would be in what circumstances would it be teed into the cold water system?

With the exception of a couple of outlets and some taps all the showers and baths have hands grohe I boxes installed.

As the cold water feed inters the cylinder at the bottom.

Has a non return valve been fitted in the secondary return?

Sponsored Links
some cylinders come with dedicated secondary return tappings , some dont and the cold water feed is used, not the best way to do it but it is common, if doing it that way a non return valve should be used, still not correct but will work, post a pic of your set up

74EEDE42-8260-4885-82AD-CEB6BA71DB7B.jpeg
image.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back