Cold Water Loft Tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I have just come back from a 2 week holiday and found my loft tank overflow running. I followed some advice on this site and youtube and replaced the float valve. However all info I could find advised separating the float valve on the inside of the tank and only replacing that part. I did try this but could not separate the valve at that point so had to replace the whole unit. I could not find any direction for doing this, so I just removed the old unit completely and reversed the process to install the new Part 2 float valve. Will this be okay? Please let me know if I may have missed anything. I sat for a while and watched the inlet on the outside of the tank for leaks when I turned the water back on, all looked good, and felt dry too. I will check again tomorrow.

But, here's the thing, while I was looking for leaks I noticed that the MDF that the tank sits on is wet/mouldy, as are some of the beams that the MDF is on, these are not the roof beams, they are beams that have been put in above the roof beams, and they are only mouldy at the top.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? It looks like it has been caused over a long period, slowly, but I could be wrong. I guess it is either the outlet, a prior problem with the inlet, or maybe condensation? If anyone has any ideas what this could be I would like to know. I guess at the very least the MDF will need replacing?

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with replacing the complete valve , if it connects to the pipe via a tap connector and fibre washer, fit a new washer. MDF isn't the best for a base ,plywood would be my first choice. Most dampness that I have seen around the cistern base has been due to leaks not condensation .
You should check your work for leaks once full of water ,valve closed and joint under full pressure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back