Cold Water Problem

Try what I have suggested, you will notice that the WC will start filling rapidly, wait for it to fill up, then wait some more, keep your hand under the spout the whole time- totally seal the spout off with your hand.

OK, I tried this about three or 4 times, the toilet did indeed start filling quicker, but once I let go the cold tap was still running very slowly. How long should I hold my hand there for?

Let the cistern fill up completely, keep your hand over the spout.....then open the cold basin tap, then a cloakroom cold tap if you have one.

Sponsored Links
its the cold tap that's locked, not the hot, thanks for the quick replies though - what do I do for a cold?

first ignore my last post :LOL: :LOL:

connect a hose from the cold main to the tank fed tap and same procedure

wet vac on the offending tap has been known to work as well

Do you mean a hosepipe from the downstairs cold tap to the upstairs cold tap? Then open both of them?

Ok I'll give this a try tomorrow thanks for the help!
Yes, the mains pressure will clear the airlock, even from an outside tap if that's easier

Try what I have suggested, you will notice that the WC will start filling rapidly, wait for it to fill up, then wait some more, keep your hand under the spout the whole time- totally seal the spout off with your hand.

OK, I tried this about three or 4 times, the toilet did indeed start filling quicker, but once I let go the cold tap was still running very slowly. How long should I hold my hand there for?

Let the cistern fill up completely, keep your hand over the spout.....then open the cold basin tap, then a cloakroom cold tap if you have one.

Worked perfectly! Thanks very much, I really thought I had screwed something up badly as I've never done anything like changing taps before! I held my hand over the spout, turned on both bath taps, then opened the cold in the basin - chug, chug, chug - now the waters running perfectly! And my toilet fills in about 70 seconds, rather than 10 mins!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back