Cold water stop valve stuck?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am looking to sort out both toilets in my home, but it seems both do not have a stop valve near them. The only stop valve seems to be the main supply, located near the hot water heater.

I think the stop valve is a 'gate' valve, similar to the one pictured here

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/attac...tub-knurled-cap-shutoff-valve-knurled-cap.jpg

Please ignore the red arrow and circle.

I have tried loosening with spraying some WD40, but to no avail.

What safe methods could I try with causing rupture to the pipes, or causing leaks?

How much would it cost to call a plumber to have a look at this?

Thanks.[/img]

Sponsored Links
Them gate valves are renowned for seizing up, best option is to change them for some quarter turn valves. If you feel confident in drainin it all down you can do it yourself. Where bouts in London are you.

That gate valve is very unlikely to turn the water off to the toilets. From what you have described it seems it is either for the hot water, balanced cold or maybe the feed for your ch system (presuming by water heater you mean the hot water cylinder)?

As above you need to find your main stopcock. Have you checked in the pavement outside your house? Or maybe under the sink?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

From what I can gather, there is only one other stop valve which is downstairs, turning off the cold supply for washing machine and kitchen taps.

I can't find any others.

It's worth mentioning that there are 2 of these valves upstairs where the immersion heater is. The hot water valve, which feeds the heater, seems to move OK, but the cold valve just doesn't budge.

It's also worth mentioning that the property is amongst flats, so I don't think there's a direct stopcock outside of the property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back