Cold water storage tank not filling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Newbie so please go easy!

Recently our cold water upstairs ran out and eventually the hot water as well. Called Severn Trent out after the kitchen ran out once. They checked and said it was nothing to do with the mains supply.

Anyway eversince then we have had mixed supply, some days it is fine other days it is very limited however the kitchen now seems fine.

Went up to the loft myself (novice at plumbing) and found the cold water storage tank nearly empty and the bit that fills it dripping. Noticed another smaller tank above and to the right covered with plastic and it was warmer water. Realised the plastic was resting on the float so moved that.

After a while fiddling and proding in both tanks the water suddenly started coming in the cold water tank and cut out when the float reached the top (so that must be OK). But since then the supply is nearly nothing again?

Anyone any ideas.....please.....young kid needs a bath and missus is giving me hell!!!

Sponsored Links
Just need to replace the ballcock in the cold water tank (big one).

will do that as it does look a bit white etc but how has the water been working on occasions like yesterday and the ballcock (float?) was shutting things off fine when the level was nearly full?

Yes it will always shut off, but the limescale is just keeping the valve shut when it should be open, it may be opening up slightly so that overnight the tank fills up but as you use it heavily through the day not enough water is getting through the valve to refill the tank and that is when tou discover it empty.

Sponsored Links
can i not just remove the existing one and clean it up.

Also when I was messing yesterday I must have dislodged some then to allow it to run freely i presume.

Finally, and thanks for your help, when I remove the existing one I presume I will have to turn off the mains supply then?

Yes you have to turn the suppy off. You CAN dismantle and clean it and change the washer but since you can get the whole thing for a few pounds it's hardly worth it.
Whether replacing or dismantling, you may need to replace any washer(s) you disturb or it may leak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back