Cold Water Storage Tank Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Following the recent cold snap, during which our cold water tank on the first floor began overflowing, the water from the "drip" froze on a flat roof, causing issues around a joint in the felt...:(

So tonight, armed with a new ballcock, I spent the good part of 2 hours trying to remove the old, rusted, stubborn ballcock from the tank and replaced it with a brand new one...no more overflowing.

However...

I now have an annoying leak a the joint where the water feed meets the ballcock.

Tomorrow I intend obtaining the requisite items to replace the small section of pipework (approximately 12") from this joint to a T-joint in the feed pipe. At present, this leaky connection looks unfamiliar to me and I wondered if a special fitting is needed for the ballcock...?

The feed pipe is 22mm and the ballcock connection appear to be 3/4".

Could I possibly get away with a metal flexi-pipe...?

Ta.

Sponsored Links
I changed the entire ballcock assembly...the "leak" is where the ballcock projects outside the tank and meets the water feed pipe...no washer there...(that I'm aware of...)

Any chance of a picture ? A 3/4 valve is unusual - and must have been expensive ? maybe the fibre washer that goes in the connector against the threaded end of the valve has disentegrated - that's common.

Sponsored Links
The tap connector, the fitting joining the ballcock to the pipework, will have a fibre washer to make the joint between the 2. It is advisable to change this washer whenever the joint is disturbed, as reusing old ones often leads to a leak. As Nige has said, its entirely possible the existing pipework you have is fine, it is this washer that is the issue.

Many thanks folks...problem now seems to be fixed...

The small section of pipework leading from the feed to the ballcock connection (1/2" BSP, not 3/4"...doh) was in quite poor shape, and there was NO sign of a fibre washer, so it appears to have totally disintegrated over the years (possibly 25+).

I have managed to source a metal flexi-hose with suitable sized connections and utilised that...job done...

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back