Cold water storage tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my galvanised steel cold water storage tank is starting to leak!
I caught the first signs in time, drips coming through the bedroom ceiling.
My loft opening is about 27" by 27" so a replacement will need to be a plastic flexible tank, so does anyone know who sells them.
I have done some basic plumbing, is this a big job?
Thanks......

Sponsored Links
plumbers merchants and DIY shops.

Not particularly but you'd better start draining the old one.

I have just replaced a cold water cistern. I got a 25 gallon polytank which is 27x27x20. It came with bylaw kit, all connectors and insulation.

Drilling the holes needs particular sized holesaws (22"/29") of which the most economical ones I found were in a cheap plumbers holesaw kit.

Drilling the holes in the tank and attaching the various connectors is easy enough. The tank connector needs a special tool whilst doing up the compression fitting to the HWC feed pipe. I just bought some pushfit ones instead that are hand tighten only.

My old tank was asbestos cement so I had to chop the cast-iron pipes feeding it meaning new pipe runs - pipe bending takes a bit of thinking about for a first timer. Might be worth checking you've got copper pipes and you can do a straight swap.

Sponsored Links
Avoid push-fits in the loft (thread elsewhere on the forum re freezing pipes & fittings being forced apart). Use soldered fitting where possible.

Drilling the holes needs particular sized holesaws (22"/29") of which the most economical ones I found were in a cheap plumbers holesaw kit.

A 22 or 29 INCH holesaw is quite a beast. Did you want to be able to get your head through the hole to look inside???

Tony

Tanks a lot, oooh sorry about that, all advice welcome, 29" hmmmmmmm,
regards......... :LOL:

Woops! I meant millimetres.

When I filled my tank up last night those nice hand tighten pushfit tank connectors leaked. Grrrrr.

The tank connector needs a special tool whilst doing up the compression fitting to the HWC feed pipe.

what is the tool, please?

if it has a hexagonal nut, big adjustables
p1599008_l.jpg

if it has a sort of knurly nut, water pump pliers
(I wonder why they're called that?)
p4168910_l.jpg

you might need a Tank Connector Fitting Tool
p43180_l.jpg

it fits on the inside bits if you have these teeth
as far as I know they are only used on the brass fittings.
p1080254_l.jpg

I read somewhere else someone saying they used a metal rule to snag those teeth ..

ps Solved my polyplumb tank connectors - technical help chap said the rubber washer goes on the outside but as a matter of course he puts another one on the inside as well.

if rubber washer was on the outside then water could escape through the thread

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back