moving hot water storage tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all my dad wants to move his hot water storage cyclinder from the bedroom upstairs. into either the loft or the garage. it is a normal gravity fed system with the cold water storage tank etc in the loft. is this possible with this type of system. any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
Yes but remember that the closer the cws tank is to the hwc then the lower the 'head' and therefore the pressure......should not be a problem if you put it in the garage tho.

Either way it is quite a big job

its the distance from the cws to the outlet (s) so placing the hwsc in the loft wont have any effect on performance...u will have to place the cws higher than the hwsc...obviously

JPC.....nope. Head is the pressure generated by the distance between the cws and the top of the hws.....therefore pressure is only generated by the head.....not by the distance from cws to tap outlet.

Sponsored Links
powell30:
The tap pressure is from the cws to the tap, position of cylinder doesn't come into it.

nope. Pressure is only generated from outlet of cws to top of hw cylinder......FLOW rates will be higher the lower the tap but not pressure.......check it if you like on your home taps.......

so if i move it to the garage. will the central heating pump need to be bigger currently a 15/50. also would i need a pump for cold water storage. as the pipe work would have to come down stairs to the bathroom then under the drive way and come up in the garage as it is not attached to the house.

if cyclinder is in loft. the cold water storage tank would only be half a meter away from top of cyclinder. so would a pump be needed to fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back