Cold water tank constantly filling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was having a shower earlier and the cold slowed to a trickle. Before that, the last time any larger amount of water was used when I did the washing up last night.

Went upstairs. On the landing, I heard a lot of water flowing and through perhaps the tank had burst.

Went into the loft, and the tank was fine, no signs of a leak, but the water was flowing heavily (I never normally hear much from the loft) into the cold water tank and the level didn't seem to be rising.

I've called a plumber and turned off the stop tap. Does anyone have an idea what the problem might be in the meantime?

Sponsored Links
This a picture of inside the tank before I turned off the stop tap. The ball valve seems quite low? Although I haven't actually looked at it closely before

Attachments

• IMG_20180520_110208.jpg
    IMG_20180520_110208.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 152
Turned the stop tap on.

Then I got my phone, uploaded the picture above, taking perhaps 5 minutes and went back to the loft.

The flow has stopped, and the level is higher now?

Also, the shower is working fine again now.

Tap fed from the cistern left running which someone else has now turned off?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply.

I'm the only person living here.

One thing I did notice the was the mains pressure was low this morning. This is often the case at this time of year (lots of holidaymakers with boats filling them up), but more so than usual today.

Perhaps the system was just playing catch up at the time? In hindsight I didn't spend very long looking inside the tank before concluding that it was "constantly filling up". Seems fine now anyway...thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back