Cold water tank constantly filling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

My cold water tank is constantly filling. The float valve and ballcock were really old, so I went to a local plumbers merchant today and was advised to replace it.

I did this earlier today, (part 1) for a (part 1) and have bent the arm to the required water level.

It doesn't cut of automatically after running off water.

I can stop the filling manually (by pushing down the ballcock to re-fill faster) but after a few minutes it starts to drip and then flow.

I have had problems in the past and had to support the side of the tank to position the pipe, I have tried doing this again from underneath the pipe and between the wall and the tank, it works for a few minutes but then continues to fill.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thank you

Suzi

Sponsored Links
Is water leaving the tank, via the feed pipe(s) from the tank due to flow or leak? You could put a bung in the inside of the tank connector(s) at the bottom of the tank to see.

Some plastic tanks need a metal strengthening plate around the ballcock valve mounting nut as the plastic tank wall can be too flexible...

Thanks for the quick reply.

I wondered if there was a leak but it's not obvious if there is. I may sound like I know what I'm talking about but I learnt all the above today from google and my DIY books!

Please can you explain a bit more about putting a bung on the inside of the tank?

I also read about strengthening plates but the plumbers merchant said that the don't make them any more. Can I just buy a piece of metal and make one? Does it sit on the outside or inside of the tank?

Thanks again

What actually happens with the water level in the tank, it keeps filling so the water has to go somewhere! Does the level remain constant or rise, until it escapes down the overflow pipe?

Backplates are available, such as this. http://www.bes.co.uk/products/106.asp#11478

Fit outside tank, using outer ballvalve retaining nut to secure it to the wall of the tank.

Sponsored Links
The water level is quite a bit under the overflow, I haven't let it get up far enough yet so not sure what will happen - hoping it will go out the overflow :confused:

Thanks for the link.

I've just checked again now and the water level doesn't seem to be changing, does that suggest a leak? If it's not obvious how to I check for this?

If its simply not shutting off because the valve is 'twisting' the side of the tank as the level rises, then a backplate may solve the issue.

However, it may be wise to consider replacing the tank IMO. If the tank walls are becoming weak then its possible the tank could fail in the future.... Its a lot of water to come through the ceiling, and if you were out at the time it would keep running until such time as the water could be shut off....

If the tank is still filling yet the water level is not rising then that water has to be going somewhere. Are you are drawing water off anywhere, washing machine, tap or shower? To check if water is going somewhere, turn off supply to tank, or tie ballvalve up so tank cannot fill, and observe level. If it drops, and you are not using any water then you have a leak.

I'm not drawing any water off anywhere.

I'll turn the water supply off to the tank overnight and see where the water level is in the morning - no doubt I will have more questions then!

Thank you very much for your help

Have you checked whether your toilet is overflowing? Could be that the tank is feeding this, and it's this that's causing the problem.

Sounds like you'r losing water somewhere if, as you said, you can depress the arm and fill the tank, but it starts to flow again after a while.

There's a leak!

I turned off the water supply to the tank last night and this morning the tank is empty!

I have checked all the pipes, taps and toilet - no leakage.

The cold water tank sits in a cupboard in the lounge (I live in a converted flat) above the hot water cylindar. There is no heating system.

The cold tap in the kitchen is direct from the mains with everything else feeding from the tank.

Any ideas?

Maybe the other flat is inadvertently connected to your cold tank feed. Otherwise, a leak would have to be in an underfloor (ground floor or basement) pipe for you not to notice sooner or later.

Check how close the overflow in the toilet cistern is to the water level. (Once you have refilled the tank).

The water was leaking into the overflow in the toilet cistern, I was looking in the wrong place for the leak!

I went back to the plumbers merchant to see if they had any further advice and there happened to be a plumber in there :D

He offered to come round to have a look and told me what the problem was - he didn't charge me.

The mechanisum has been changed and all is back to normal.

Thank you all for your help.

Have you checked whether your toilet is overflowing? Could be that the tank is feeding this, and it's this that's causing the problem.

Sounds like you'r losing water somewhere if, as you said, you can depress the arm and fill the tank, but it starts to flow again after a while.

Hate to say it, but I told you :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back