Cold Water Tank in Loft not Filling - solved

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having browsed this forum and a couple of others for the problem of a cold water tank not filling, I thought I would share my experience this evening

Got back from a night out to find that there was no cold water out of any of the upstairs taps or that in the downstairs toilet, and that the toilet cisterns were not filling.

Checked the kitchen tap and outside tap and they worked. This indicated that the issue was within my property not outside the property (the Kitchen tap is connected direct to the mains, the other taps come from a storage tank in the loft)

Went into the loft and found that the large cold water tank was empty
Checked the ballcock / float and it moved freely, but no water was coming through the inliet (just above the valve)

From other posts, suspected that there was a blockage (either air lock or scale)

Ran a hosepipe from the outside tap (also connected to the mains) through the bathroom window and into the loft with the intention of filling the tank as a one off until the morning when I could call a plumber

However, thought I would try directing the jet from the hosepipe back down the inlet in case the blockage could be moved (being careful to hold a lid over the top of the tank to try and stop the hosepipe spraying everywhere

After doing this for a while, eventually something moved and the water started coming out of the inlet by itself

Double checked by manually lifting it that the ballcock would stop the water when it reached the right level (it did)

So turned of the hosepipe and let the tank fill by it self.

Phew

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back