water pump off the cold water tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking to solve the problem of low water pressure from the cold water tank. My house has a bath with a shower, a shower room, first floor toilet, ground floor toilet, i.e. a normal house like everyone else has. Due to the water pressure is from the cold water tank on the loft, the shower, the basin taps, even the toilets fill valves are working very slow. I am thinking to install a water pump direct connect the cold water tank output to boost the water pressure. So the whole house will be having a higher water pressure. Is it feasible and practical?

Sponsored Links
No. The hot water is kept at the same pressure as the cold by being fed from the same cold water storage tank. If you then pump cold water to a mixer tap it will blow some of the cold water (higher pressure than the hot water) back into your hot water system.

you could boost the hot and cold to the shower - very common - Stuart Turner pumps are one of the best - the toilet valves may just need new parts / replacing . you can probably live with the basin /bath flow rates ;) . OR maybe if you recently had some work done on the plumbing - and the roof tank was drained , you might have a partial air lock :idea:

Sponsored Links
Even the quietest pumps can be quite noisy - doubly so when you visit the bathroom at 2.30 in the morning!

An alternative is to change the taps, shower valve and WC fill valves for low pressure versions that work effectively with the available pressure.
Okay, the shower won't pin you against the wall with a jet like a fire hose, but a low pressure mixer will deliver enough water to get you very wet very quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back