Removing cold water storage tank

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to rip out my bathroom and was hoping it would be possible to decommission the cold tank in the loft at the same time.

I currently have a Mira Excel thermostatic shower (fed by cold tank) and the pressure out of it isn't great. As I turn up the temperature and more hot comes into the flow the pressure increases.

The pipe that feeds the shower also connects to bath, basin and toilet. It would be really easy to connect this pipe to the mains and hopefully solve my shower pressure problems, making the loft tank redundant. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

Hot water is supplied by a combi boiler.

Sponsored Links
I would always suggest having both systems on an equal pressure. Having your cold supply via gravity and your hot water on mains isn't ideal.

I would do as you suggest and you will benefit from more than just a good shower. If your mains pressure is good, you'll have a better flow everywhere. You'll also have drinking water at all outlets.

I would suggest surveying the cold system first though. You're about to ask a lot more of it so I would replace any old and worn flexible tap connectors and repair any suspect looking joints/fittings.

All the best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back