Colin McRae's flying licence...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7884088.stm

'...The report said that Mr McRae's five-year flying licence had expired in February 2005 and he was also not authorised to fly the type Eurocopter Squirrel helicopter he was operating as his "valid type rating" had lapsed in March 2007.

It added: "The investigations into the pilot's licensing history revealed several cases, between 2004 and the time of the accident, of non-compliance with existing regulations."

The AAIB said that when Mr McRae had flown from Scotland to London in March 2006 he would have known his type rating had expired since the purpose of the flight was to meet with an examiner to renew it.

Speaking on behalf of the McRae family, Colin's father Jimmy said: "The AAIB report, in line with the findings of our own experts, has been unable to reach any firm conclusions on the accident and it is therefore extremely difficult to come to terms with the fact that we will never know the actual cause of the crash...'

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources/Bulletin 2-2009.pdf p.73 -

How will this lot pan out??

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Colin died whilst flying a copter during a difficult maneuver.

his own son and friend died too. tragic.

he was a man who spent a large part of his professional life taking risks. one too many it seems.

not having the the relevant licence/paperwork does not automatically make him incapable.

you can get away with mistakes on the ground but not in the air. gravity can be a killer.

While not having the necessary licence's did not make him incapable, it certainly made him irresponsible, this is unacceptable when you have other peoples lives in your control.

I had a private pilots licence, fixed wing, it has expired, and I could never pass the required medical. I would be breaking the law if I flew as pilot in charge.
As sad as his demise was, he will not be around to suffer the consequences of his actions.

Mike Hawthorn and Graham Hill thought they were invincible too.

Wotan

Not having the the relevant licence/paperwork does not automatically make him incapable.
Try having that discussion with the Corgis's in the plumbing section :LOL:

I must agree with Wotan as flying an aircraft isn't like riding a bike ... Whilst you don't forget how to do the basics you need regular practice to be safe. Also, the flying World in respect of rules and regs is a constantly changing environment, don't fly for 6 months and you're severely out of touch.

The most dangerous pilots (and they are many) are those who qualify and just do the minimum each year to keep current, generally at the end of the year just before their CofE expires.

Crazy behaviour :rolleyes:

MW

Sponsored Links
I wonder how his wife feels knowing that her son 'may well' have died due to her husbands irresponsibility.

Liken it to putting your 5 year old in the front seat of your car without a booster seat!!! Its much more dangerous when in the air.

Take risks with yourself, not your loved ones!

Most of the comments in this thread suggest that the posters have not actually read the report but I may well be wrong. The report suggested to me that his lack of having an appropriate licence was an oversite not on purpose. He also appeared to be making risky maneuvers to impress the passengers. It beggars belief that he was flying that low in that location. He was also a regular pilot.

Most of the comments in this thread suggest that the posters have not actually read the report but I may well be wrong. The report suggested to me that his lack of having an appropriate licence was an oversite not on purpose. He also appeared to be making risky maneuvers to impress the passengers. It beggars belief that he was flying that low in that location. He was also a regular pilot.

Helicopters are very unforgiving flying machines, it could well be that there was a mechanical failure of some kind, but according to witness statements he was flying fast and very low.
In these circumstances there would have been virtually no time to have
recovered the situation, had it indeed been a mechanical failure.

Wotan

How many people have genuinely forgot there MOT for a van or car thinking it was months away.
The guy was a legend who peeked at his chosen sport and became world champion.
Does anyone seriously think he knowingly let his licence slip and endanger his own sons life, I think not
Christ the bloke is dead and his family have suffered enough
what a truly cr*p thread

How many people have genuinely forgot there MOT for a van or car thinking it was months away.
Nope, not me?

Doesn't me he wasn't showing off and acting the tw@t though.

Does anyone seriously think he knowingly let his licence slip and endanger his own sons life, I think not
Perhaps he was simply an ego maniac who also happened to be a bad pilot?

what a truly cr*p thread
I doubt his family are reading this thread to be honest.

You're not his long lost love child are you?

MW

being in possession of a license does not make you a good pilot.

not having a license does not mean you do not know how to fly.

there again, flying without a licence does not make you a good, or a safe, or a careful, or a responsible pilot.

"the report said that Mr McRae's five-year flying licence had expired in February 2005 and he was also not authorised to fly the type Eurocopter Squirrel helicopter he was operating as his "valid type rating" had lapsed in March 2007.

It added: "The investigations into the pilot's licensing history revealed several cases, between 2004 and the time of the accident, of non-compliance with existing regulations."

TThe AAIB said that when Mr McRae had flown from Scotland to London in March 2006 he would have known his type rating had expired since the purpose of the flight was to meet with an examiner to renew it."

none of that inspires confidence, does it?

It isn't actually the license they are talking about its his certificate of experience i.e. his competance to fly.

Being in possession of a license does not make you a good pilot.
True, but if your license is current it does mean that you have maintained the required standard to fly at some point in the previous 12 months (according to the CAA ... I do beg to differ on this as I said in an earlier post).

Not having a license does not mean you do not know how to fly.
Not quite so true ... If you've never held a pilot's license the likelyhood is you ain't safe to pilot an aircraft ... With a couple of notable exceptions such as service pilots et al who don't actually hold CAA licenses.

MW

what a truly cr*p thread

No one has doubted his ability as a rally driver, but as for being unaware that his validity to fly had expired, I cannot accept.
One of the requisites of being a pilot is to ensure that all documentation and logs are up to date, this includes the technical log of aircraft flown.
He would have to have filed a flight plan, done weight and balance calculations etc and be aware of the aviation law permitting the flight.
Of course every sympathy goes out to his family, after this tragic loss of life, valid licence or not.

Wotan

It amazes me how people assume that achievers in a given field are automatically beyond reproach in all aspects of their lives.

I do believe that he shat and farted just like the rest of us.

John Denver, also at the top of his profession and a keen aviator died tragically by piloting his aircraft into mother Earth whilst flying with an out of date license.

He didn't have anyone with him of course.

MW

Not having a license does not mean you do not know how to fly.
Not quite so true ... If you've never held a pilot's license the likelyhood is you ain't safe to pilot an aircraft ... With a couple of notable exceptions such as service pilots et al who don't actually hold CAA licenses.

MW
if you have never held digger licence before then the likelihood is you ain't safe to drive a digger.

no kidding Sherlock! any other useful analogies?

so if i come back from 'Nam having flown a Huey in all kinds of battle and civilian scenarios and leave the USAF having let my licence expire, does this make me a bad pilot?

Sponsored Links
Back