collapsible security post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just about to install a collapsible security post to the front of my drive and would like any tips on how to dig a narrow hole to accommodate it.

Dimensions = 400mm x 400mm x 1000mm

Also the instructions tell me to use a CAT scanning tool but I have no access to one! :rolleyes:

Does anyone have any advice on this? :)

Sponsored Links
You will be able to hire a CAT but they are not infallible.

An alternative is to hand dig carefully - See Health & Safety Executive guidance HSG 47. That means no pick or auger or mechanical assistance and CAREFULL use of shovel/spade. Remember if you do not take enough care it could be FATAL.

If it is on your property you should only have services to your property but DON'T take it for granted.

Most utilities provide us with prints showing where their services are when we are excavating BUT these normally DO NOT show services into properties/streetlights/signs, just the main runs along the street. They are NOT always right - six or seven years ago one of our contractors hit a gas main in the SW with a trencher and cut 400,000 people off, the drawings showed it on the other side of the road!

I installed two for my daughter and they lift out so the root only goes down 15" and the builder's agent is still on site so he told me what was/was not there. Not strong enough to prevent theft but OK as a deterrent. You have to ask yourself how far you want to go - if they bring a JCB (as they tend to do when stealing ATM machines), or "knock on the door and ask very nicely for the key" even the best post wont stop them.

On the practical side you will find it difficult to hand dig to a metre keeping within 400x400.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back