Colour matching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have core drilled a hole through engineering brick and unfortunately a fairly big area of brick broke out which I need to fill.
I was wondering if using orange emulsion paint instead of water in a sand/cement mix is a silly idea.
The local builders merchants came up with all sorts of coloured dyes and sand but nowhere near my brick sample.

Thanks for reading.

Ray

Sponsored Links
As Roy Walker would say, "It's good, but it's not right".

Cement dye or a new brick.

Well, in the end I couldnt find suitable dye so I used a 'matchpot' of emulsion paint. Close up it didn't look right (but I think that was just the fact it was the texture of a mortar filling) From ground level or from the windows the other side of the quadrangle the repair was invisible. It was certainly a new experience and a bit messy but the final appearance was spot on.
Been back today (to quote for another job) and it still looks the same so I'm a happy bunny.

Well, in the end I couldnt find suitable dye so I used a 'matchpot' of emulsion paint. Close up it didn't look right (but I think that was just the fact it was the texture of a mortar filling) From ground level or from the windows the other side of the quadrangle the repair was invisible. It was certainly a new experience and a bit messy but the final appearance was spot on.
Been back today (to quote for another job) and it still looks the same so I'm a happy bunny.
I was in the building again yesterday and took the oportunity to have a quick look at this, I'm pleased to say it's still looking good. Yeah happy bunny still.

Sponsored Links
I was in the building again yesterday and took the oportunity to have a quick look at this, I'm pleased to say it's still looking good. Yeah happy bunny still.

Don’t you have a camera?

Don’t you have a camera?
The closest view is 4 stories up from ground level (against the bright sky) or across the quadrangle which is probably 40m. I had my phone with me, which is not a super duper camera so it wouldn't have given any worthwhile image
Under those contidions I couln't see any blemish other than the cable entry but several metres away is a standard mortar repair which is obvious.

Well, the fact that you're still being asked back to quote for jobs suggests that it's acceptable! Unless they're trying to guilt you into redoing it :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back