Trying to match mortar - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I've got a brick fireplace and two bricks have come away so I need to repair. Problem is, I'm struggling to match the mortar. The existing mortar is quite yellow - I doubt they used dye when installing it because it's the same colour as all the houses around here (built mid-70s)

I'm using Mastercrete cement and I've tried soft sand, which was too orange, sharp, which came out the same grey colour as the sement, plastering sand, which on itrs own matches the colour I'm trying to match but add the grey cement and it takes on that colour. I've also tried a combination of sharp and plastering sand and at different ratios of sand to cement.

Short of trying all the different permutations again but adding dye, I'm now at a loss - I've tried three different kinds of sand and about 16 different ratios of sands to cement. I've never done this before and this may sound daft but as it's taking on the colour of the cement is their some kind of cement that lets the colour of the sand come through?

Sorry if this sounds a bit rambling but this is so frustrating!

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dackers.

Sponsored Links
Given the period it would be a bit odd, but maybe you should try lime instead of cement as this is white and gives a much lighter finish.

Don't know where you could buy a small bag - or even if you can - but if your effort at matching is worth it to you, you can buy a normal 25/35 kg bag at bulder's merchants.

Then of course, you have to find a sand that gives you the finished colour.

Mix about 4 1/2 sand to 1 lime.

The existing mortar is quite yellow - I doubt they used dye when installing it because it's the same colour as all the houses around here (built mid-70s)

Hi Dackers, any chance of a photo? That'll give us the best idea if it's a mortar dye that's been used or if it's a lime mortar / sand colour etc.

Sponsored Links
Mountainwalker has the right solution, only double up on the lime. The sand will have a large influence. I would try some local sand first with snowcrete - ratio 6 sand/ 1 cement / 2 lime. Regards JohnC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back