coloured render advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently looking at having my house re rendered. A friend who has been rendering with sand and cement for 25 years is doing the job for me and I asked him about doing it in coloured render.
He has never used it but said he will give it a go if I find out if there are any differences in the methods used in preparation and application.

From what I have read it is applied in a one coat but I’m not sure how you get the final finish? (Is it sponged like with sand and cement?

Also do you have to use plastic beading? and have read about meshing around windows?

Any information is appreciated including recommended brands.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi project1, its a long time since i used coloured render, but if i my memory serves me right, there was no difference in rendering coloured or not coloured. All you have to do is read the instructions on the pack.

I have never used plastic bead, i have only used stainless steel ones with rendering.

You can finish the render with either a sponge, a wooden float or a steel trowel. It has to be a good straight wall to use the wooden float though, other wise the edges of the wooden float tend to dig in to the render and to a considerable lesser degree so does a steel trowel.

The thing with a wooden float is that it is dead straight, where a trowel is slightly bowed (when its broke in) and sponge of course bends to fit what ever shape the plasterer leaves the wall in.

Just as a point of interest, Wicks used to sell steel trowels that were already broke in and they were cheap, and i do mean cheap and....... surprise surprise, they were very good trowels. Don't know if they still sell the same ones now though.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck.

The render your talking about is called mono render. We use it all the time you DON'T finish it with a steel trowel or wooden one it's finished with mono scratcher tool long tooth and short tooth and H rule for scraping. And PVC beads to match the colour of the render you need mesh over the stress points ie heads of windows and doors some times you need a full meshing over all of it . You may need a primer coat too all firms that supply mono will stick primer coats ie bagged backing coats.

Skimmers";p="2624127 said:
The render your talking about is called mono render. We use it all the time you DON'T finish it with a steel trowel or wooden one it's finished with mono scratcher tool long tooth and short tooth and H rule for scraping. And PVC beads to match the colour of the render you need mesh over the stress points ie heads of windows and doors some times you need a full meshing over all of it . You may need a primer coat too all firms that supply mono will stick primer coats

I know its amate but there is a bit more to this than someone tellkng you the method. he will have to go amd see or do it or you wil have all differerent shades and cuts into thr first coat.

Sponsored Links
Mono is easy we all started somewhere. Apply weber rend-aid with a roller leave it for 3 days to set then apply your first coat of mono. min finish of 10mm after scrape soo use 10mm PVC beads fixed with mono and clout nails apply first pass about 5mm bed in mesh. Leave about an hour it will still be wet then apply 2nd pass 5mm to bring it up to bead add on about 3mm over to scrape back when firm.
Use a surrated h rule to flatten in helps to find and hollows in the pass keeps it nice and flat. Use a 8mm scraper to pull the fist loads of gear them finish of with 6mm scraper and sort brush to clean off crap. Sorted iv probs misted something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back