Coloured silicone sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to use silicone sealant between a couple tiles to enable that one join to be broken if we need to open an access hatch.

The tiles are grouted elsewhere with a pale blue grout (Mapei).

I can't manage to find any pale blue silicone sealant ... is there any way to colour a small amount of white sealant?

Sponsored Links
would you not be better of grouting the hatch, and using a grout rake if you ever need to get in... but don't forget which joints are the ones to rake out.

would you not be better of grouting the hatch, and using a grout rake if you ever need to get in... but don't forget which joints are the ones to rake out.

That would definitely look better ... is it easy/quick to remove grout with a grout rake?

very easy... you can get two types of blade: serrated or tungsten... tungsten better on wider gaps... you could use mirror screws to hold it in place and to give you a clue as what to remove for access in the future

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for all that information ... I think I might use my pale blue grout as it's only between 2 tiles [as the other 3 sides of the hatch can be in white silicone as they are beneath the blue tiles (a flat top/shelf) butted up to white tiles] ... so thanks 'leakydave'.

For anyone wanting coloured silicone I have found this site http://www.absealants.co.uk/department_11_Coloured-Silicones.htm but the blue I'd have liked is even paler than those available {and it seemed a bit over-the-top to order it made to the exact match just for a 200mm length.

:D Thanks[/url]

Mapei will probably do a sealant that matches the grout you chose as it was a Mapei grout.

http://www.europeanheritage.co.uk/adhesivesandsealers.asp and scroll down to the mapesil silicone section!

I had real difficulty purchasing the mapie coloured grout originally ... even though Mapei had sent me samples it took me ages to find a supplier of the colour I wanted ... I wish I'd found 'europeanheritage.co.uk' when I had originally searched.
I've just emailed them about supply.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back