Combi boiler/bypass valve/CH balancing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out with this. I have a potterton combi boiler, replacement for an old ocean combi. Sealed system. The rads were never balanced when I moved in, I did it by feel years back after asking the boiler blokes who do the safety check each year but have since discovered they've not got the first idea about balancing the system. Since the boiler replacement, the heating is a bit more uneven than before (old boiler used to run a low heat but for longer periods, new runs higher heat to rads, but shorter periods, so uneven heating up is very noticable now).

Question I have is, I have read about the 11c drop across boiler flow and return, and over each rad. That's all very well, but having tried this, I'm finding it very hard to actually acheive an 11c drop - all the lockshields are closed down, only open between 1/4 to 3/4 of a turn!!!!

Obviously this has restricted the flow through the CH system rather a lot (or has it???) - and I have a bypass valve fitted in parallel across CH flow and return, just under boiler - I can find no info on how this should be set up (again, when boiler replaced they just stuck it on a middling setting, but couldn't explain how it should be set).

Anyone out there that can explain to me how the bypass should be set?

I'm also thinking the boiler is way in excess of what is required for this CH system - being a large 2 bed flat, I was told it was sufficient for the entire property (downstairs being the same size, cept three bed flat, so extra rad or two).

Thanks,

Velvet

(seriously thinking about scrapping the pucker balancing and doing it by hand again, but would be nice to get the boiler working as efficiently as possible!)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back