Combi boiler - 'Combisave' valve.

Seems more like a gadget than anything else; I did not see any elaboration on how they came to the £150 p/a, nor any details on how it sticks together technically.

Let's do some simple calculus.

150 pounds @ 3 pence per kWh means more than 4000 kWh in use; that is more than 10 kWh per day.
Let's assume we have powerful boilers at an average of 30 Kw.
That means the boiler must be running at full blast for about 20 minutes per day, just to warm up the hex. Every day.

Now assume you have a really poorly performing boiler with no insulation.
How long does it take to heat the hex, 10 seconds? 20?

Fat chance of saving 150 quid.

Sponsored Links
One way to save water is to turn the tap on at a lower flow rate and use the water to clean your teeth. Then increase the flow rate when the water starts to get warm.

The Potty Puma already has this built in !

Tony

Not sure if I'd clean my choppers with water from the hot tap Tony, in fact I'd not put London water near my mouth mate!!........ :LOL:

Hi, I’m from Mole Group, I saw on here people talking about CombiSave. It’s great that our product has got people talking! I just wanted to answer a few of the questions raised...
1. Does it really save £150 per year on gas bills?
Yes, you really can save that much! Check out our fact sheet on www.combisave.com to see how these figures were calculated.

2. Whats the difference between CombiSave and the Potty Puma?
The Potty Puma method works differently from a CombiSave in that the Potterton Puma valve did not save water.

3. Will it greatly reduce my water consumption?
The average savings are 6 litres each time the hot tap is run from cold (average taken from 100 fittings).

4. Does it significantly reduce the waiting time at the tap for the hot water to arrive?
CombiSave can be retrofitted to most types and ages of combi boiler. Those that are fitted with an eco-button/pre-heat function are using gas while these are activated. The pre heat on boilers do not always keep it up to temperature as they heat the water up and let it cool down a bit and then boost it back up again. When the tap is turned on the boiler still takes a little time to fire up so most times the water will run warm, then you will feel the water get cooler and start to slowly warm up again. So the CombiSave will still assist by helping the boiler warm the water quicker. But if you turn the pre heat off you will save more money as it is not continually heating the water all the time

5. You can achieve the same thing by running hot taps slowly until they warm up?
Yes, it does work on the same principle as turning the hot tap slightly until the water is hot. But as stated, it would be unlikely that everyone in the house and their guests could be trained to do this each time accurately. Also you can’t regulate the flow on some appliances such as washing machines and showers. Just as we buy remotes for TVs but we could do that manually too!

6. What about potential damage to the boiler?
CombiSave imitates an “intelligent tap” so does not affect boiler mechanisms. The lifespan of a CombiSave is 10-20 years and the oldest one fitted to the rudimentary design has been in place problem-free for five years.

7. What effect will killing the flow until the water heats up have on the boiler?
The initial flow will not be “a trickle”, but is approx a third normal flow, so enough to rinse off something before full flow of hot comes through.

8. Won't it increase limescale formation within the boiler in hard water areas?
No, there is no evidence of this. The components of CombiSave have been carefully chosen to be suitable for all areas.

Our website is updated weekly so please look for further details www.combisave.com or if you have any questions email me at [email protected].

Cheers, Dave at Mole Group

Hi, I’m from Mole Group, ... Check out our fact sheet on www.combisave.com to see how these figures were calculated.
OK lets take you first claim of 168 litres/day save by four people, or 42 litres per person per day.

According to the calculator on my water company's website I should use about 182,500 litres per year for a 3-person family. 75,000 litres of that are cold water (washing machine, dish washer. toilets etc. That leaves 182500-75000= 107500 litres for hot or hot+cold, which is 294 litres per day, or 98 litres/person/day.

So your system will save approximately 40% of the water used for showers!

I think not. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Hi Everyone.

I'm able to offer 3 CombiSave valves FOC for trial to any skeptical plumbers out there. You will need to have your own combination boiler and it will need to have it's pre heat function disabled. The reason is that the CombiSave delivers a similar performance to pre heat but without the costs of around £75-£150 per year in Gas charges.
If you don't have a pre-heat function then that is fine as you should see a water saving as well.
I would personally call out and fit it with you and to go through the settings if that is OK?
I only have 3 available and I would prefer Plumbers/heating Engineers who use this site frequently.
look forward to your replies.
Thanks

Dave Furlong

The Potty Puma method works differently from a CombiSave in that the Potterton Puma valve did not save water.

I have to disagree with you about that!

The Potty Puma device does exactly what your Combisave does, it restricts the flow rate to about 2.5 litres/minute until the boiler output reaches about 35-40 C.

Apart from that I have no problem with your device although I would be sceptical about the savings to be achieved in most households.

Tony Glazier

I have to disagree with you about that!

The Potty Puma device does exactly what your Combisave does, it restricts the flow rate to about 2.5 litres/minute until the boiler output reaches about 35-40 C.

Apart from that I have no problem with your device although I would be sceptical about the savings to be achieved in most households.

Tony Glazier

Hi Tony.

I never actually saw one working, I was lead to believe it recycled the water around the boiler whilst the cold flowed through until it got warm.
But I stand corrected, thanks for letting me know.
Cheers

Dave

One way to save water is to turn the tap on at a lower flow rate and use the water to clean your teeth. Then increase the flow rate when the water starts to get warm.

Tony

Not sure if I'd clean my choppers with water from the hot tap Tony, in fact I'd not put London water near my mouth mate!!........ :LOL:

Hi Richie, I'm doing a free Combisave fit for someone in Glasgow in the next week or so who is on another forum. Would you be interested in testing one and posting your findings on this forum?
Dave

Tony

Hi Richie, I'm doing a free Combisave fit for someone in Glasgow in the next week or so who is on another forum. Would you be interested in testing one and posting your findings on this forum?
Dave

I'll test one for you if your coming down Essex way

Bod

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back