Turn valve to reduce hot water flow from combi boiler to raise temperature?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The combi boiler in my mum's house outputs hot water which is not hot enough (despite being set to maximum) unless you close the tap a bit to reduce the water flow. This is fine upstairs but in the kitchen, the flow reduces on its own, perhaps due to expansion of the tap parts which means the tap needs to be constantly adjusted to prevent the flow falling below threshold and turning off the boiler. I notice that there is a valve on the hot water outlet pipe (I think there are valves on all the pipes) coming from the boiler; would it be okay for an unqualified person to adjust this valve with the hot tap on in the kitchen so that the water flow coming from the tap is reduced, thereby raising the temperature of the water? I think reducing the flow by 10-20% gives an acceptable output. The temperature of the central heating is just fine.

Sponsored Links
No problem, it's what we all do anyway ;)

Just make sure you turn the set temp from max to something sensible or when the taps only on a little it will be scalding hot

You would be better off renewing the faulty kitchen tap ,which can not give a constant flow , rather than messing about with the boiler .the valves on the outside of the boiler are isolation valves ,not flow restrictors and the dhw pipework usually does not have an isolation valve , it would be on the cold water inlet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back