Combi boiler diverter valve due to be replaced... started working again!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a week without any heating or hot water after problems with a 15-year-old Worcester 28CDi combi boiler.

The symptoms (from Googling them) all seemed to point to a malfunctioning diverter valve (no hot water or heating, but pilot light was firing and calling for heat briefly) and the emergency engineer confirmed the same.

He's due back tomorrow with the parts ordered and three hours labour but as if by magic, the heating and water are back and functioning fine this evening. So not sure what to do now, I presume I will still have to pay for the parts anyway, is it worth just getting him to do the job anyhow as there is clearly something wrong with it having not worked for a week?

Sponsored Links
well first things first your boiler does not have a pilot light , the flame that you see is the main burner alight , you would be better getting a Worcester fixed price repair at £270 which includes all parts and labour

I've had a week without any heating or hot water after problems with a 15-year-old Worcester 28CDi combi boiler.

The symptoms (from Googling them) all seemed to point to a malfunctioning diverter valve (no hot water or heating, but pilot light was firing and calling for heat briefly) and the emergency engineer confirmed the same.

He's due back tomorrow with the parts ordered and three hours labour but as if by magic, the heating and water are back and functioning fine this evening. So not sure what to do now, I presume I will still have to pay for the parts anyway, is it worth just getting him to do the job anyhow as there is clearly something wrong with it having not worked for a week?
no pilot flame my friend , even if you do change your mind getting it fitted , you will owe the engineer more than parts price if he didn't charge you a diagnosis charge . if you got a problem just get it sorted and if your sceptical of repair pay a fixed price from worcester as ian has said , take your pick . but is your symptoms description correct with no hot water and ch ?

I've already paid £96 diagnosis - my primary query was the boiler is now working, do I proceed to get it fixed anyway on the basis that it's been kaputt (no radiator or water heating) all week up to now (for a higher price than a Worcester fixed price as I knew nothing about that unfortunately).

Obviously I'll ring and ask the repair people tomorrow ahead of his visit, I just wanted to get a feel for the right thing to do as I know zilch about what I'm dealing with (hence pilot light terminology!).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back