combi boiler flames out after turning off hot tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sorry ,.not got extact model , old 15 year old boiler , had many a repair man replace parts , its a potterten (sp ) make.

anyway...

does not happen all the time , which is annoying .. but basically turn hot tap on .. and water flows and gets hot ... boiler flames up good...

then turn off hot tap .. boiler carries on flaming , and you can hear it getting very hot etc .. then after a few seconds some sort of cut out kicks in and kills everything .. even the pilot light.

anything i can check for ? or is just a case of engineer to come out .. just worried it does not happen all the time ( at the moment anyway )

seems to not happen if you turn hot tap of slowly ....

also central heating seems to be working fine

thanks for any advice

Matt

Sponsored Links
The exact model would help, but it sounds like a flow switch issue to me.

will dig out model , sorry forgot to right it down. allthough its a Puma , but forgot model :)

im sure after 15 years its due to be replaced ? but after replacing washing machine and fridge freezer last week ( why things all break at same time ) im feeling a bit tight LOL

thanks for reply though

Matt

Sponsored Links
They do have a flow switch which is prone to sticking, but at 15 years it might be time to replace with a better performing combi. I will add that the Puma is repairable if you want to stick with it. Remove the front case and observe the movement of the switch when turning the water on/off. The front case can be removed(2 screws underneath at front) to have a look.

They do have a flow switch which is prone to sticking, but at 15 years it might be time to replace with a better performing combi. I will add that the Puma is repairable if you want to stick with it. Remove the front case and observe the movement of the switch when turning the water on/off. The front case can be removed(2 screws underneath at front) to have a look.

im pretty sure most parts have been replaced over the 15 years , main board twice ( caught fire on me when i turned it on at 6am ,.,. that wakes you up )

also my panel only has one screw in it now LOL ..

anyway thanks for the advice .. will take a look ..

Matt

The flow switch is repairable or replaceable but they need to be carefully set up.

Only an engineer familiar with that model is likely to be able to do that very well.

They are common boilers and anyone who repairs boiler will be familiar with them.

Beware those who say they will come and have no repair skills and just want to supply you with an overpriced new boiler.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back