Combi boiler heating stuck on Worcester 28CDi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I wonder if anyone could shed any light on this problem please.

I was fitting a wireless thermostat to my Worcester 28CDi combi boiler yesterday. It all went smoothly until it was turned back on. Initially it seemed to be working. The thermostat was set to manual on and the boiler fired up and signalled that it was heating the rads.

Unfortunately, when the thermostat was switched off, the boiler continued to fire and heat the rads. I removed thermostat wiring to test, and still the boiler was heating the rads. When all possible controls were switched off, and the boiler was returned to its previous state, once swithed on, the boiler immediately fired and heated the rads, and more worringly, the radiator flow temp knob had no effect on the output. It seemed like the boiler would continue to fire until it exploded! I assume there is a high limit cut-out, but I didn't want to take that risk, so the boiler is now isolated at the mains, and switched on when hot water is required. Even when calling for hot water, the radiator light stays on, but water light does come on and hot water comes out of the taps.

My initial thought was that the control board had been damaged in some way, but further research possibly points toward diverter valve. I cant understand however how a diverter valve can overide all other control inputs and force the boiler to fire.

Can anyone with experience with these boiler give me any clues please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
are you sure you reset the wiring to what it was exactly before you started? Sounds like there's a wire connected to live that shouldn't be.

Rather embarrassingly, it turns out that one of the screws on the back of the control panel - I believe the gas valve commissioning screws - had been knocked to max output, meaning the boiler was in effect in a test mode running at max output permanently!
All sorted now though.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Rather embarrassingly, it turns out that one of the screws on the back of the control panel - I believe the gas valve commissioning screws - had been knocked to max output, meaning the boiler was in effect in a test mode running at max output permanently!
All sorted now though.
Thanks
lol at least its sorted now... danger averted!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back