Combi Boiler in Bathroom...help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Apologies if this concern has been addressed many times over but I have been reading and last topic was in 2010.

Basically I have a FER Falcon combi boiler but it is fitted in the bathroom, on a wall that hangs over the end of the bath. Last week the insufficient pressure on central heating light started flashing, with the heating turning on for a few seconds then cutting out. We have been without hot water and heating for a week and finally got man to come in.

As soon as he seen boiler he said it was illegal and cannot believe it is bathroom, he says that it has to be moved out of there asap, basically new boiler in kitchen that already has no space!

I have read that if we box it in securely it may be legaal to stay where it is so we could just try and fic=x fault (I still don't know what that is as he didn't even mention! I Have tried raising pressur ebar to 2 but that has not worked).

Wit our first child on the way in 6 weeks, we obviosuly need this sorted but the cost of a new boiler was not in our plans!

Any helpful advise would be greatly appreciated as I am really worried where we go from here and don't know if I need second opinion from someone else!

Thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links
You need to know the IP rating of your boiler. It may be perfectly legal over the end of a bath, as long as sprayed water from a shower cannot go onto it and the electrical connections go into the back of the boiler, not from below.

Here is the relevant section from the falcon II manual.
You will be ok but you will need to box the boiler in
so that is cannot be touched.
No ventilation in the cupboard is required for the boiler.

should be in an area where the water pipes will not be
subjected to frost conditions. In siting the combination boiler the following limitations must be observed:
The combination boiler may be installed in any room or internal space, although particular attention is drawn to the
requirements of the current I.E.E. wiring regulations and in Scotland the electrical provisions of the building regulations
applicable in Scotland, with respect to the installation of the combination boiler in a room or internal space containing
a bath or shower.
Where a room sealed appliance is installed in a room containing a bath or shower any electrical switch or appliance control
utilising mains electricity must be situated so that it cannot be touched by a person using the bath or shower.

He is correct that it needs to be boxed. He probsbly doesn't know how to repair it and just wants to fit a new one at an inflated price. Best avoided.

But he should be offering solutions.

You need someone more helpful.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the quick responses.

I have spoken to him again and he is quoting £1800 to get new boiler (slimline one) and move it into the kitchen (the otherside of the wall).

He is a friend of a friend so don't know if he is doing good deal or not?

I also asked about the idea of boxing it and he said it could be but need to make sure boiler is fully accessible. He thinks it could be the mother board (but we had that changed two years ago) that is the problem.

He can do over the weekend, or if not then will be 3 to 4 weeks. With baby due wife is pushing to pay the money but I don't know if we should hold off and try and box and repair.

Any additional advise would be great as first posts have been reassuring

Thanks
Paul

Box it in and get it repaired. Can't say whether £1800 is a good deal or not, you've not said what is or isn't included, or what boiler is on offer. I doubt you need a new one though.

If the low pressure sensor is stuck then they can usually be cleaned out and if its failed then they are about £24.

If you were in my local area then it would be £84 plus the sensor cost but I would try cleaning it first.

It all depends on what the boiler pressure was showing when it first cut out.

British Gas do a fixed price repair for about £200 in many cases.

Tony

£1800 to move boiler into kitchen, that is including labour/

Its veissman boiler he is going to install, he has said 'middle of road' one as worcester would be much more expensive.

If he's calling Veissmann middle of the road he's a tit who doesn't know what he's talking about, although we'd kind of established that already. I'd take a Veissmann over a Worcester any day.

Hi,

Apologies if this concern has been addressed many times over but I have been reading and last topic was in 2010.

Basically I have a FER Falcon combi boiler but it is fitted in the bathroom, on a wall that hangs over the end of the bath. Last week the insufficient pressure on central heating light started flashing, with the heating turning on for a few seconds then cutting out. We have been without hot water and heating for a week and finally got man to come in.

As soon as he seen boiler he said it was illegal and cannot believe it is bathroom, he says that it has to be moved out of there asap, basically new boiler in kitchen that already has no space!

I have read that if we box it in securely it may be legaal to stay where it is so we could just try and fic=x fault (I still don't know what that is as he didn't even mention! I Have tried raising pressur ebar to 2 but that has not worked).

Wit our first child on the way in 6 weeks, we obviosuly need this sorted but the cost of a new boiler was not in our plans!

Any helpful advise would be greatly appreciated as I am really worried where we go from here and don't know if I need second opinion from someone else!

Thanks
Paul

The bathroom zoning rules apply here and as long as it is outside of zone 2 (zone one is suitable IP applies) the boiler is legal, and the regs are NOT retrospective, that means it the boiler was allowed be installed at the time then that is the case now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back