Combi boiler installation advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am a new member after some advice on combi boiler installation.
I am currently modernising my 1 bedroom flat in a victorian house and have decided to replace the old cylinder and central heating system with a Worcester Bosch combi boiler.
As I was advised against using British Gas I rang a local Worcester Gold Star recommended installer to give me a quote. He said that the work he would do would be:

Drain down central heating system.
Disconnect and remove BF boiler, cylinder tanks and unwanted pipework.
Supply and fit a WorcesterBosch Greenstar 25si with standard flue, clock and remote control thermostat.
Extend 22mm gas supply and hot and cold water supplies.
Run condenst to waste pipe
Repair leak on 11/4" waste
supply and fit Magna Clean

Also as he said a pressurised system would make the shower leak ihe would fit a Mira Combi shower in place of the existing shower.

This would all cost £2250.

My question is, is this a reasonable amount ? I was expecting something in the region of £1200-£1400 as the extortionate British gas prices I have heard on a full house were only £1750.

Any advice is much appreciated.

D Bass

Sponsored Links
Without seeing the job it's impossible to give any advice on pricing, your chosen installer has given you a price based on what he's seen. I would advise you get one or two more quotes from recommended local installers, maybe find out who your neighbours use. Why a Worcester boiler just out of interest? There are other, arguably better, makes out there that may also be cheaper

£800 or so for the boiler, £200 or so for the shower, £100 for the magna clean. Then there's 22mm copper at about £6 per meter, fittings, consumables, inhibitor, power-flushing.

You're £1200 - £1400 isn't going to do any more than cover materials.

If you think the quote you've got is on the high side, just get another couple of quotes from other RGI's for the same work. That'll tell you what the going rate in your area is.

Is your installer going to powerflush ?, as already stated £800 for the boiler + flue + thermostat + copper + consumables, then you have new TRV's at £20 each + fitting, If you're looking at £1,500 I'd guess you ain't getting a pro install, get more quotes but on that boiler fitted properly price seems fair.

Sponsored Links
However you've dressed up your post, all you really want to ask about is money.

Er, strange response. I hadn't realises I'd dressed up my post... I just wanted advice.

To the other responses - thanks, maybe it is a fair price. I will get a few more quotes though before making any decisions.

Thanks again. :)

Remember, every time you call someone to come and inspect your property, measure the flow rate and prepare a quotation thats cost him perhaps £50 !

Do that just three times and thats £150 on your installation!

Cheaper than me matey!

My question is, is this a reasonable amount ?

A very fair amount

I was expecting something in the region of £1200-£1400
:eek: :eek:

as the extortionate British gas prices I have heard on a full house were only £1750.

Hearing is different to experiencing

:eek: :eek:

as the extortionate British gas prices I have heard on a full house were only £1750.

Hearing is different to experiencing

What Expertgasman is saying if you missed the point is BG £1750 NEVER, and I'll say that again NEVER

Rather than speculate what BG prices may or may not be why not get them round to do a quote - no obligation.

:LOL:

Well to get the costs down you could maybe opt for a cheaper boiler? That could bring the costs down a little. You could do the same for the shower, maybe opt for pressure balanced shower out of screwfix? That could bring the cost down as well.

All in all with what your current rgi is proposing to install your getting a very reasonable deal imho and shouldn't be complaining about the price.

That price is very reasonable we do have to make profit u know, bloody cheek questioning £2200 for what u state is excellent u may get it cheaper but what's ur install gonna be like,I just bin out British gas quoted £3200 for Vaillant out an Vaillant in :eek: We were £2300 same job plus wireless roomstat an bit of gas upgrade

Hi
I am a new member after some advice on combi boiler installation.
I am currently modernising my 1 bedroom flat in a victorian house and have decided to replace the old cylinder and central heating system with a Worcester Bosch combi boiler.
As I was advised against using British Gas I rang a local Worcester Gold Star recommended installer to give me a quote. He said that the work he would do would be:

Drain down central heating system.
Disconnect and remove BF boiler, cylinder tanks and unwanted pipework.
Supply and fit a WorcesterBosch Greenstar 25si with standard flue, clock and remote control thermostat.
Extend 22mm gas supply and hot and cold water supplies.
Run condenst to waste pipe
Repair leak on 11/4" waste
supply and fit Magna Clean

Also as he said a pressurised system would make the shower leak ihe would fit a Mira Combi shower in place of the existing shower.

My question is, is this a reasonable amount ? I was expecting something in the region of £1200-£1400 as the extortionate British gas prices I have heard on a full house were only £1750.

D Bass

lmfao....... u gotta luv it

I think that the fault lies with the way that BG have been advertising thier installs.. I too have heard the £1750 figure quoted, not sure what is included in that price but I would suspect that EVERYTHING is an extra and the resulting price would be considerably higher.... It is a price designed to get salesmen into your living room.... Then he hits you with the real price and Joe public then say "Oh well, they are the gas board, they are the experts, the do easy payment terms, blah blah blah".

I too could supply you an ATAG combi for less than £1200..... But fitting is an extra as would be everything else...Drinking tea? Ah we have to charge you for that... we can even take away your old copper...But there is an extra charge for that but EEC directive 33/57329 states that we cannot allow you to dispose of the copper... Or keep it

You get the picture...

When I stop laughing I'll come back with a figure.
laughinatu.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back