Advice please - Choosing a boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning.

I am in the process of replacing the boiler in a property i look after.

It is a two bedroom flat which has a family bathroom (sink and bath) and an en suite bathroom with a shower and a bath.
Currently a Chaffoteaux system boiler is attached to a duo? cylinder and pumps mains hot water to the taps.

I have wanted a like for like installation ie a change of system boiler to maintain the hot water flow however I have been advised the following:

Fit a worcester combi and remove the cylinder. ( 30SI)
or

Install an electric boiler as this is easier to comply with current regs. (fusion 12kw electric boiler)

Will the combi provide enough / similar water to what the system that is in at the moment?

I have the chaff set up in my own place which gives plenty of water to a large family but unsure if the combi set up will suffice for this installation. I have had combis in the past ie over 10 years ago so not sure how they have come on.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
No the Worcester will not cope with 2 open hot outlets at the same time, both will dribble with water.
Stick to the system boiler and it sounds like unvented cylinder, why electric by the way?

Thanks for the reply.
I was told by one company due to new building regs it would almost be impossible to fit a like for like system hence an electro option was suggested.

I think the combi is more for ease if the installer and not for what we require.

A neighbour has had a system boiler attached to the old system and appears to work well.

There are a few manufacturers that do a twin set up so they supply the unvented cylinder along with the system boiler, if this is what the users are used to I would recommend you install the same kind of set up as you will notice a flow rate difference if you go down the combi route

Sponsored Links
If the current system works, just replace with another system boiler. Keep the rest of the setup if in good condition.

It would never be advisable to use an electric boiler if gas was available. Only go the electric route if the person paying the bills has money to burn.

The electric boiler route didn't sit comfortably with me. The installation was also considerably more expensive than a gas boiler with an increased running cost.
I have just popped in to see a neighbour who had an identical system to the Chaffoteaux but has had a new system boiler fitted in the last 18 months which is connected to the old gear and works a treat.
The old chaff has an internal 3 port valve but the installer has overcome this with some handy pipe work.
I have contacted their installer so hopefully I will get the system we need.

Thanks for all of your independent advice.

Yes, if you can get an installer who has done a good job on a similar setup for someone else, you're off to a good start.

Recommend you go for a better quality boiler than the 'Chaff' - seems an apt abbreviation for these boilers. Along the lines of Atag, Vaillant, Worcester, Viessmann.

Not even sure if you can still buy a 'Chaff' any more.

As painful as it is to realise its the installer and what they do that makes the difference..not the boiler..

And to choose the right installer you need to be a judge of character...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back