Combi boiler/mixer shower advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into a new build flat 3 months ago, all rooms are on one level. Ther is a combi boiler installed, Glow Worm 24 ci, and a thermostatic(?) mixer shower installed, Meynell v6. The problem is that the shower is never hot enough.

The shower mixer tap only controls water temperature, cold then turning up to hot, with no loss of water flow at either end of the temperature spectrum. But even turned up full, the shower is still not hot enough.

My husband decreased the mains water pressure - it gushed out the kitchen taps and soaked everywhere anyway - and I think it helped somewhat. But it's still not too good.

The pressure reading on the boiler is 1.1 bar, so I assume that should be adequate.

But what can be done about these lukewarm showers? Are there any tweaks or adjustments?

Sponsored Links
is the not a hot water temparature control on the boiler...can it be turned up this way ?
is the mixer got a hot water safety catch.....can it be altered
can u not turn the shower on fully (full flow) this will allow the water more time to heat up....and thus have a warmer shower

There is a temperature setting on the boiler, but it only seems to control the water temperature of the taps. I turned it up full but it still didn't make any difference to the shower temperature. :(

I can't see any hot water safety catch on the mixer shower. There is only one control which operates the shower, basically a mixer tap, and the only thing that can be controlled is the temperature - full on is the hottest setting. I have the shower as hot as it can go, but it's not all that hot, as I said in my original post.

As for leaving the water on to allow it to heat up, no, that doesn't work at all. I can run the shower for a full 10 minutes and it doesn't get any hotter. So that doesn't work either.

The answer doesn't seem to be all that simple, does it? :(

Phone the manufacturer as normal mixers can usually be tweaked up to allow a hotter temperature.

Not sure with a thermostatic one, but worth a try. :D

Sponsored Links
There is only one control which operates the shower, basically a mixer tap, and the only thing that can be controlled is the temperature - full on is the hottest setting.

bath mixer / diverter :idea:

i must read the post :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;) ;)

003188.jpg

one of these you mean :?: :?: :?: :?:

Most thermostatic showers mix a proportion of cold water ALL the time. this means the combi HW out is always colder at the shower.

The solution is either to replace with a non thermostatic shower or restrict the CW into the shower. If it was installed with isolating valves the just reduce the CW to a small trickle. If not then it will be necessary to add an isolating valve to control the CW.

Combi boilers work better with NON thermostatic showers if the boiler is a modern type with an electronic temperature control which typically maintains the water temperature to within +/- 1 degree.

Tony.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back