Combi Boiler - no running running hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am asking this on behalf someone else.

She had no water coming out of the hot water taps. Cold taps fine. The heating is running fine.

The combi boiler (about 1-2 year old) fitted by British Gas. It is fitted in a bathroom, inside a cupboard.

They have boiler cover and engineer came over. He spend 4 hours at the property. He told the householder, that there is snow in the roof. Yet they could not see a missing tile, but said there specs of light from the roof. I am wondering if there is felt in the tiled roof?

The engineer told her the hot water pipe is frozen, that is why there is no hot water. Even though it is lagged. He told her there is no loft insulation, which is needed.

He told her, he tried to defrost the pipe, with a hair dryer and that did not work. If he was at the property for 4 hours. Surely they must be able to that out the pipe and repair it?? He also needed to check if he had pipe in his van. What kind of engineer does not carry copper pipes in his van???

I am wondering if she is being fed a BS story?
Is it possible that it is just the condensate is frozen. Could that cause the same symptoms?

The engineer said he would come back on Monday, when it is warmer and the pipe has defrosted. The engineer turned off the water has at the mains. She has to move out, to a friends. As she has no water at all. She can't use the toilet etc...

The boiler which is in a cupboard in a bathroom. Does not have a ceiling. BG removed the old ceiling, which was asbestos peice. So now you can look into the loft space. I am just wondering, if it really snow in the loft and not condensation from the bathroom which has frozen?

She is reluctant to go into the loft, so can't verify anything....

There is no water leak....

I can't verify any one this information, as I am getting this information second hand.

Is this the correct way to deal with a frozen pipe? Could it be the boiler condensate pipe which is frozen?

Sorry if I sound distrustful of BG, but they charged them £5,000 to fit a boiler (it was n't a brand I recognised). They did not change their radiators. When I touch their radiators (which are old), they are cold at the bottom, and seem like they have sediment at the bottom, but at at the top part.

Sponsored Links
Blocked condensate pipe would not stop water from coming out the taps.a frozen section of pipe will. Turning the mains cold off will prevent a major flood ,if the frozen pipe burst ,and would be a sensible precaution in the current sub zero temperatures ,albeit a major upheaval for householder .thawing the pipe would not stop re icing unless all the work involved in prevention was addressed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back