combi boiler - pressure gauge too high and overflowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ideal c24 mini combi, approx 8 years old, that is leaking hot water from the overlow (pressure relief valve) pipe outside - I estimate approx 1 lite per minute.
The pressure on the guage was reading maximum at 3.5-4 bar so I assumed somebody must have opened the filling loop too much and let water in by accident. So, I swithched the boiler off and opened the drain cock and let water out of the rads until the pressure dropped to 1.5 bar. When I switched the boiler back on the pressure started building-up again to the max 4 bar and the leak started again. What is going on?
The heating is working fine but I am worried. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
have you turned off the cold inlet to the combi ? does the problem then stop?

if boiler off at spur and prob persists - plate heat ex is passing - if when boiler on (ie heating on) suspect expansion vessel charge fault/diahphgram etc fault - filling loop should be removed after system topped up

if expansion vessel was at fault gauge would read 0 on own though after prv has released water

Sponsored Links
the filling loop was letting small amount of water even when shut so I tightened it a bit more by applying pressure on te lever and that stopped it. hopefully sorted. thanks for the advise

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back