Combi Boiler pressures and leaking overflow pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK - here i go !

I have just moved into a new house and have found myself confronting a rather hostile heating system. I don't know much about these things - so please bear with me as I attempt to explain.

The radiators are heating very well and the pressure in the shower is amazing - BUT - (a very big but!!!)

- some of the radiators keep burning even when the thermostat is down to 10deg.
- On turning off the radiators i notice a couple of drops dripping from the valves on the sides of the radiators.
- the 'overflow/safety' pipe (which opens in the conservatory!!!) keeps dripping.

On looking inside the airing cupboard i noticed 2 red cylinders - and a water tank. (no labels of make!!!) but the pressure gauge had the black needle at 2.5 and the red one at 2. (which to me means TROUBLE!).
There is a boiler in the garage with 'Potterton' and 'suprima' labelled.
I believe I have a high pressure combi-boiler system.

I did discharge the pressure by turning a safety valve - which turned the conservatory into a swimming pool - and then I opened the valve to set the pressure back to 1. all seemed fine but 12 hrs later there was a puddle in the conservatory - from the overflow pipe.

Does anyone have any ideas what I need to do - or what am i doing wrong ?

I have tried turning the 2 valves in the airing cupboard to various positions - but no luck !
I have even called plumbers in - who have marvelled at the 'system' - but not given any useful solutions. One of them wanted to change ALL the valves on the radiators - saying they were substandard and causing the trouble !!!!

HELP !!! please !

Sponsored Links
You haven't got a combi boiler.
Check faq's for re-pressure expansion vessel.

firstly a suprima isnt a combi boiler.

the "overflow" pipe should go to outside and continual dripping is likely to mean a new PRV is reqd, and possibly expansion vessel needing attention.

rad valves leaking will usually mean replacement.

looks like you may need an expert.

ok - some one told me its a combi - but I guess not !!
are the 2 red cylinders linked to the suprima ?

and its good (in a way!) the overflow pipe is in the conservatory as i would have never noticed it dripping had it been out in the garden !!!!

what is a PRV ? and whats with the expansion vessel ? will a plumber be able to sort this out or do i need an engineer ?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Can you post pic's of airing cupboard/ red cylinders etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back