Overflow Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have noticed that water is dripping from my overflow pipe, being a novice i have traced the pipe back into my airing cupboard and it looks like it's connected to a pressure tank and valve.

I turned the valve to the right and water started gushing out and the pressure dropped to about 1.5, it's normally between 2 and 3.

Any ideas on what could be the problem?

Sponsored Links
The valve is a pressure relief valve - a safety device that will open and release water in the event that the system pressure increases beyond a predetermined safe level.

Turning the valve is one means of testing it that it can operate, and in doing that you've released some pressured water and the pressure has dropped accordingly.

Bear in mind that pressured hot water storage vessels can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

If you have instructions for 'topping up' the pressure, then you should follow those. If you don't, then you should obtain them from the manufacturer.

If you can't do that, then you should post the make/model here and someone will tell you how to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back