Tribune Unvented hot water cylinder Water Overflow dripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All - I have a fairly old Tribune unvented hot water cylinder direct unit with a Varem expansion tank. Today, I noticed the outside overflow pipe was dripping water - quite a lot of water. The presure gauge between the tank cylinder and tank was showing 3.5 bars - the immersion heater was on at the time. When I left the presure reducing valve open for a few minutes, the pressure fell to 3 bars and the overflow pipe stopped dripping. It looks like the pressure is still rising and I expect it to start dripping again shortly. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be the cause and what I can do to fix. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Sponsored Links
does it drip constanly or just when the hotwater has fired if so the expansion vessle may need charging. if its 24 hrs a day then you may need a new flow limiter.

hope this helps

Thank. It seems to be just when the hot water has fired. Can you let me know how I "charge" the expansion vessle?

Sponsored Links
Once the expansion vessel has lost the air charge, it can only be permanently fixed by changing it. Pumping it up is a very temporary respite, it has a leak and will continue to cause problems.

not the one im referring to. click forum
click plumbing/central heating
look at the first 3/4 lines one of which says sticky boilers/central heating FAQs
it contains a list of common questions about boilers, one of which is how to recharge your expansion vessel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back