Combi boiler problem.PLEASE HELP PLEEEEEAAAAZZZZEEEEE

T

Tommy Tank

Hello Guys n Girls,

Can anyone help me please?
I have a Protherm 80e combi boiler which is playing up.
The problem is when I try for hot water or central heating the boiler fires up then shuts down for a second or two then displays -2 in the lcd display and then continues to fire up again then shuts down and so on and so on.The funny thing is when I drop the control panel down on the front if I use a pen and position it in such a way there is no problem at all??
Thanks in advance for any useful ideas or comments.

Sponsored Links
Seems as if you have found it yourself, maybe just a loose connection.

Yes, I know thats obvious, but I don't have a crystal ball to be more presice.

Thanks gasman.Yes you where right.I had another look and found that there was a black unit on the printed circuit board.When I moved it ever so slightly it knocked the power on and off.I had previously checked all the connections to no avail.I have now used the little bit of plastic off the pen top to wedge between the little black unit and the relay unit adjacent.Works with no problems now and I have more than likely saved myself £££'s.I wonder what the long term safety implications are though?

Well let me put it this way!

If you called a professional heating engineer to repair your boiler and that is the repair he came up with, what yould you think!

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
What I would think would depend on how much he tried to charge me.

We charge a fixed price of £84 to diagnose the fault plus the cost of parts which might be about £90 for a new PCB for your Protherm 80.

Tony Glazier

Thank goodness for a little bit of plastic from my pen.I could have a nice week in spain for that price ( although i'm sure it's a very competitive and reasonable price ).That said what price do you put on safety?

You obviously don't live in Scarborough Tony. Those are manufacturer's service team prices, we get a lot less than that for working our rocks off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back