combi boiler problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have moved into a student house and my radiator keeps banging when boiler comes on. the pressure is at 1 bar is this ok? and how do i stop the banging because it keeps waking me up. plus one of the pipes is dripping on the right of the bolier

Sponsored Links
Is it an old house? Because I had the same proble in an ancient house and there's not much you can do about it except bleed the radiators as there might be some trapped air in there!

I expect this is expansion clicking, probably where the pipes pass through the floor.

There is little you can do about this.

Any leak should be reported to the landlord or agent and they must be pestered to get it fixed.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Close the rad valve then open it slowly to a point to see if this stops the banging.

possibly trv fitted backwards.
That's interesting, I had a problem with a TRV banging it never used to but at some point started and wouldn't stop. I assumed it was due to the system being clogged up maybe. Anyway, it's been replaced with a new one and initially the new one did a similar thing but appeared to stop after the system was allegidly power flushed. Only thing is I noticed that the TRV is fitted to the right hand side of this radiator. On all the other radiators the TRV or manual valve is on the left and the lockshield is on the right. Is there any convention to say which side the TRV should be on?
Thanks

No,they are bi-directional now. Used to be that you fitted the flow on the right and return on the left however you also had to take into account position of rad in respect of walls & doors etc and indeed furniture and curtains etc.

And, you slightly ran the rad up towards the vent but there is no need to do this now either.

One of the things that does my head in though is the bliddy stupid left handed or right handed installers who insist on fitting the rad vent the way they vent it which means that on some heating rads the vent is fitted hard up against an obstruction with no thought about venting. Probably most of the rads in a particular install are mounted together before hanging but that is really no excuse,IMO.

I dont see many student houses with TRVs.

Not many with gas safety certs either!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back