Potterton performa 28i problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Potterton performa 28i combi boiler.

It is set to keep the pre-store of water hot.
The problem is when the boiler kicks in periodically to keep the water at the correct temperature the boiler makes quite a racket! The boiler is housed in the loft above my sons bedroom and on many occasions in the night it has woken me up. It makes a sort of boiling sound (Yes I know its a boiler) popping an banging.

The thing is when the boiler is heating hot water nd a tap is open or the central heating is on the bolier is quite quiet.

has anyone come across this or can suggest what is wrong. - I am tempted to turn of the pre-heat beacuse of the noise.

Sponsored Links
tukky142 said:
Hi,

The problem is when the boiler kicks in periodically to keep the water at the correct temperature the boiler makes quite a racket! The boiler is housed in the loft above my sons bedroom and on many occasions in the night it has woken me up. It makes a sort of boiling sound (Yes I know its a boiler) popping an banging.

The thing is when the boiler is heating hot water nd a tap is open or the central heating is on the bolier is quite quiet.

has anyone come across this or can suggest what is wrong. - I am tempted to turn of the pre-heat beacuse of the noise.

you could try sleeping downstairs....

your so helpful Bob :mad:

if its the noise im thinking of like a skreeching noise then the problem is the O rings inside the 3 way valve need replacing :confused: i have found that certain types of inhibitor cause these o rings to expand :confused:

as a short term answer turn the pre heat off by turning hot water temperature dial right down ;)

He said """It makes a sort of boiling sound, popping an banging."""

I dont think thats the few seconds of screeching as the diverter moves!

It sounds more likely that the primary heat exchanger is scaled up and "kettling", or worse!

A friend of mine used to get over problems by using a timeclock to "inhibit" operation at times when something could make a noise!

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
sorry i really must start reading the threads properly :confused:

if it was scaled up it would make the noise all the time not just when on preheat ;)

i would check to see the auto air vent screw cap on top of the pump was loose as it could be air in the boiler especially as its at the highest pouint of the system :)

I went up to the loft to check the vent screw - It wasnt out much so I have wound it out a bit. I have turned down the pre-heat also.

What I have noticed is that there has been quite a bit of water coming out of the vent, you can see all the water residue of the vent casing. -Is this normal?- The thing is I recently had to re-charge the system due to it cutting out on low pressure. - Could I have a sticking vent??

Thanks for your help.
Do you mean a new air vent? - I have just priced one at £5.15. I think I will get one. - could you possibly detail the best way to go about changing it please.

tukky142 said:
Hi,

The problem is when the boiler kicks in periodically to keep the water at the correct temperature the boiler makes quite a racket! It makes a sort of boiling sound popping an banging.

WHAT i see in your script is that the water in the pre heat vessel is overheating the causes for this i think could be the dhw thermistor not telling the gas valve its at its correct temp and carries on heating the water making it bubble. now that one theaory
i will have to think a while for some others

dhw thermistor doesnt control the store temperature the central heatingone does and if that was faulty the fault light would be flashing :confused:

best way to change air vent is to isolate boiler drain down using drain off just below to the right of pump pull out clip that holds air vent in pull out and put new one in oh and obviously re-fill boiler turning drain off off and isolating valves back on :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back