Combi Boiler Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

[Mostly solved, see post 6]

I have a vaillant boiler, probably around 10-15 years old. It is linked up to one large heater as i am renovating the full house and running in new central heating progressively.

Hot water has been running fine all summer although the pressure has not been great. The heating was working fine last winter.

I switched the heating on yesterday as the weather has been getting a bit nippy and the boiler essentially initiated the heating and then backed down. Since then it sometimes tries to initiate and fires for a brief moment other times it clicks and the display changes but not much else.

I figured it might be an airlock so i bled the radiator, no change.

I checked the pump is turning and it is.

I bled the pump (not sure if i did it right) using the silver bolt on the front of the pump, it spat a little then trickled but no change with the heating.

The boiler has a red twist valve on the outside, twisting that released a bit of air and water but no change. This depressurised the boiler a little, i repressurised it and the boiler kicked in and ciculated a little hot water through the heating. Other than that, no change it won't fire up still.

The boiler manual claims the boiler bleeds itself of air so over the course if today i have been switching on the hot water and restarting the boiler hoping it would kick into motion but no joy.

I repeated all steps again but no luck.

I found a little bleed valve on the top of the pipe from the pump to the cylinder and no air was released.

There is some type of chamber with a valve on it attached to the back of the pump, i gave it a prod and a little air and water was released but still nothing.

The hot water has since reduced to a trickle although i can not pin point which of the following actions may have triggered it or whether it happened when i fired the heating up as i only just went to use it this afternoon.

Any help would be great, it is too early to be replacing the boiler, i was planning on doing that once the kitchen is done and all the new plumbing is ready. There is no budget to cater for it until at least next year so even a temp fix would be great!

Any ideas or process to suggest?

Sponsored Links
The boiler is not doing anything when i switch the central heating on now.

I have spent some more time on google. Could it be the 'flow regulator' or would that only effect the hot water?

Have you repressurised to about 1.5 bar?

Vaillant have made about 50 different boiler models. You seem to have an over rated idea of our crystal ball's performance.

Tony

I have repressurised correctly.

Not being a plumber i figured they would have similar components and functionality. I expected if it was needed i would be asked for it... :)

The model is 'ECOmax 824e', there are two variants AFAIK, this one is the one shaped like an octogon cut in half (vaillant referred to it as the 'fifty pence piece' model due to the shape). Not to be confused with the 824/2 e.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Looks like the actuator is at fault.

It's insides are loose. Went to lock it in the 'manual open' position and noticed a loose piece of plastic wriggling around.

I have removed it and locked the valve open manually and circulation to the heating has resumed.

Great, but the hot water pressure is still low.

Why is this? Does these mean the 3 way valve is also knackered or is it likely to be a blockage on the cold water inlet orelsewhere? I can find no obvious filter to check.

When replacing the actuator is it standard practice to replace the 3 way valve anyway?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back