Combi Boiler Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Can anyone explain a query i have with combi boilers?
When running the domestic hot water at a restricted flow rate (mid rate) into a glass it arrives extremely cloudy(It eventually settles down) If i run it off at full flow its fine and clear. I've experienced this with worcester, baxi's etc. Is this common with all combi's?
Can anyone shed any light please?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Yes it is quite common for this to happen.

If water clears from bottom upwards it is thousands of little air bubbles. Clearing from top to bottom would be some sort of solid.

Thank you. Yes they clear from the bottom upward. I assumed it was air due to the restriction. Could this leave a resisdue at all?

Sponsored Links
The air bubbles are held in solution (like co2 in a bottle of fizzy drink) while the water's at pressure.

If you open the tap full, it drops in pressure at the flow restrictor in the combi, and big bubbles which don't cloud the water, have a chance to form up inside the pipe.
If you open the tap a little, the water is pressurised until it reaches the tap, so the bubbles only form when the water comes through the tap, so they're still there for you to see.

ChrisR said:
The air bubbles are held in solution (like co2 in a bottle of fizzy drink) while the water's at pressure.

If you open the tap full, it drops in pressure at the flow restrictor in the combi, and big bubbles which don't cloud the water, have a chance to form up inside the pipe.
If you open the tap a little, the water is pressurised until it reaches the tap, so the bubbles only form when the water comes through the tap, so they're still there for you to see.

Thanks Chris always wondered why it happened :rolleyes:

Ok, thank you for your quick reply. It's never caused me a problem.
Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back