Combi Boiler - Performance Question

Sponsored Links
some marketing people publish utter pish.

we agree on that but you just type it

The difference is that my "pish" is an opinion based on experience ( mine and other people's ) and is typed with the aim of giving the other side of the story.

The pish from marketing is aimed at leading people into making decisions which lead to increased sales.

Part of "getting a decent flow of hot water" is the efficiency of the boiler.
But boiler specs state the output into the water (under specified conditions, naturally). That, with the stated gas flow and efficiency tally OK, the ones I've looked at. If the boiler output is set below maximum, that needs checking, or if the water flow is low due to low pressure, the gas input will reduce to maintain set temperature. On a new boiler it's unlikely IMO that output is low due to efficiency being below spec.
Boiler efficiency figures seem to be the efficiency of combustion and not the overall efficiency of getting the heat produced by combustion into the water.
I know boiler efficiency is your thing :) but you've lost me there. Efficiency is the heat into the water (easy enough to measure, flow x temperature rise) divided by heat in from the gas (GCV or NCV being stated). What do you mean by efficiency of combustion? I would assume combustion is effectively complete, and if it isn't the result would be lower efficiency on test (and quoted in the data sheet).

PS I meant to add - with the litany of problems the OP has described, these things are most likely the least of his worries.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
boiler specs state the output into the water (under specified conditions, naturally). That, with the stated gas flow and efficiency tally OK

But is the actual measured gas flow the same as the stated gas flow for a particular set of specified conditions. Do those specified conditions include the temperature and humidity of the incoming air for combustion. And more important does the testing house set up specified conditions that ( maybe according to the manufacturer ) will give the highest efficiency figures

Does the tally include the rise in temperature and volume of combustion air passing though the boiler ?

But is the actual measured gas flow the same as the stated gas flow for a particular set of specified conditions.
Unless the boiler output has been set low for some reason, there's no reason why it wouldn't be. And it's easy enough to check, just read the meter over a timed minute, or longer for higher accuracy.
But even if gas flow is low, it's that which might be causing the low hot water performance, not boiler efficiency being below spec.
Do those specified conditions include the temperature and humidity of the incoming air for combustion.
As I said in earlier post, I assume testing would be under specified conditions - flowrate, temperature rise, flow temperature etc, to give comparable figures between manufacturers, but I don't know full details. Maybe incoming air temperature, but I doubt whether normal variation of RH would cause a measurable difference. I don't think it was ever explained how somebody claimed 126%, but that's been beaten to death.
Does the tally include the rise in temperature and volume of combustion air passing though the boiler ?
It's irrelevant. If the heat into the water, and the heat in the gas are determined, dividing one by the other gives efficiency. For a given boiler on test, the rise in temperature and volume of combustion air are what they are.
Boiler efficiency figures seem to be the efficiency of combustion and not the overall efficiency of getting the heat produced by combustion into the water.
I still don't think it's possible, or necessary, to split boiler efficiency into combustion and transfer efficiency. Dividing out by in gives overall efficiency.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back