combi versus standard boilers ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to have my old boiler replaced, and have two options, either a standard boiler (as in current system) or a combi boiler. I live alone in a 4-bedroomed house and have two showers fitted...both runnning from the hot water supply. Can anyone say what is the best system to install please...maybe based upon experience ? My plumber recommends that if a combi is fitted, that the pipe runs to the hot water taps be as short as possible. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
With two bathrooms I would strongly advise against a combi as, not matter what the incoming pressure is, you will suffer badly from pressure drop when any other outlet is opened,

May be you should look into a thermo store (oilman knows all there is about these :LOL: ) or an unvented cylinder as these perform much better than a combi

I think also that your house is too big for a combi. Call my a cynic but do you think your plumber might be thinking of the easiest install rather than the appropriate appliance?

I agree with corgiman (apart from my knowing all there is to know about thermal stores). I would avoid a combi other than small single person accomodation perhaps.

I earn lots of money looking after combi boilers.

With combi boilers the heating systems are generally sealed systems. Is yours a normal system with a header tank in the loft? If it is, keep it that way, there will be no benefit in changing until you have to.

Your plumber is right about having hot tap pipe runs as short as possible, but this is good advice what ever system you have.

Thermal stores and unvented cylinders can be added at a later date but if you have a standard hot water tank that will do for now. Take care if ou ever consider an unvented cylinder, they need local authority approval BEFORE installation. The must be fitted by a certified operator, and they need servicing anually. They thus cost more to live with.

Do you have oil or gas heating?

Thanks for the advice oilman and corgiman. After I posted this message last night, I did some more research on the web, and am coming to your conclusion that a standard boiler is preferable to a combi for my situation. I can also keep my airing cupboard for towels...which I like! My plumber is saying he would recommend fitting a (standard) Potterton boiler, as he has good experience that these are reliable, compared to a Vallant which he said were not so good. Or are they all as much about the same in terms of reliability. What do you think of this ? Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Potterton are satisfactory boilers as are Worcester and as are many others, but one of my criteria for picking a boiler is "can I get hold of technical help when I need it?" This means talking to someone when I am in the middle of a problem. Regrettably Potterton and Worcester, amongst others, fail here as they have automated switchboards and not enough people to staff the help lines and too many people ringing up. Spending 1/2 hour waiting for someone to answer the phone is unacceptable to me. I recommend other makes where help is available.

Wise words Oilman

Ideal have a superb tech advise line (blimey I am starting to sound like an ad for ideal :oops: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back