Combi Boiler / Radiators Configuration?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know that a combi central heating system with TRV fitted radiators has to have at least one radiator with no TRV, thus ensuring a constant flow through the system. But does it matter which radiator?

My daughter has just moved into a 2 bedroom house (6 radiators) with a combi fitted in the downstairs kitchen. As she has a 3 week old baby, the heating is currently on 24/7 controlled by TRVs. Of the 6 radiators, 2 are not fitted with TRVs (Entrance Hallway and Bathroom Towel Rail). The enclosed entrance hallway gets very hot whilst the rest of the house (open plan) is 'comfortable'.

If I fit a TRV to the hallway (or switch it off), would the bathroom towel rail radiator provide sufficient 'flow capacity' for the combi? The towel rail is a 'ladder' type radiator (approx 500 x 800)

Sponsored Links
It sounds like there is no room thermostat fitted. Fitting a room thermostat in the hall may be a better idea.

Mikely, I am looking at a room thermostat as an option for the long term, but keen to know whether it is safe to switch off the hallway radiator as a short term measure. I am concerned that having the system on 24/7 during this cold spell will result in a hefty energy bill, and the excessivly warm entrance hall is providing no benefit to the living area of the house. DM

It is perfectly safe to turn off the hallway radiator, it will not harm the system.
Regards
spraggo

Sponsored Links
I think it may depend on the boiler type you have. Post the make/ model and someone should be able to tell you.

There you go - no need.

The boiler is a Biasi M90F.24S. I will suggest to my daughter to switch off the hallway radiator. Thanks again both. DM

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back