Combi Boiler Unusual Pressure Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope someone can help. I have a vokera linea combination boiler and it has been losing pressure at quite a fast rate. I searched for a leaky pipe/fitting to no avail and then eventually found that there was a leak from the heated towel rail in the bathroom. I normally check that the pressure is at 1.25 bar when cold. I isolated the towel rail by closing off both valves each side of the towel rail and this has stopped the flow going through ( as expected). However, now when I turn on the central heating, the pressure rises rapidly to 3.5 - 4 bar when hot ( usually sits around 2-2.5). When cold it drops to 1, sometimes under 1 bar. I have been over the last few days bleeding the radiators thinking that in isolating the towel rail air has managed to get trapped in the system. I bleed the radiators to reduce the pressure initially, however in doing so when the heating is off and cold the pressure is too low. Do I need to just keep doing this until it levels out? Or remove the towel rail altogether, drain the system and re-fill the whole system? Or is there another explanation? Please advise, thank you

Sponsored Links
The problem is probably with your expansion vessel. It likely just needs charged but it could also be faulty or it's connecting pipe blocked. A service on the boiler should include recharging this if required.

Thanks for that, is this something I can do myself? Is this the technique with the bicycle pump? If so, have you any idea where I might find the valve on this particular system. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I love it when people think they have an unusual/rare/odd/urgent/strange problem that they've searched the forum for and found nothing.

So here we go -gonna ask anyway :LOL:

Not taking the pish Mick - just a general observation based on a lot of recent posts ;).

Not sure what you mean dan, but the problem I have is unusual to me as I have never come across this before. I am not a plumbing engineer (clearly) but consider myself as a handy enough person to accomplish most tasks around the home. I have been able to understand and carry out obvious/initial checks etc... and try to eliminate them before I ask for guidance from elsewhere, which is what I am doing now :D

Search the forum for "unusual" problems - even try the list at the bottom of your screen and see how "usual" your problem actually is. :LOL:

Don't worry - I appreciate its not your fault and this isn't a personal attack.

Just wish people would read the FAQs and search a little before asking questions.

Appreciate that Dan, thanks for the advice. I think I gave up on searching this evening as I have been checking round for leaks again this evening, trying to find the original manual, downloaded a PDF of the manual, searched generally over the internet (finding lots of posts/videos/etc.... not quite relative to my problem), until I thought, I need to find a forum to get my own question out there. I am under no illusion that this has probably been asked before but I am at a point where I just need a direct answer/suggestion(s). So forgive me if that comes across as lazy, it really isn't the first thing I have done to try and sort my problem out ;) ....now I am going to bed and confront this again tomorrow evening

Its actually a very common problem.

Perhaps the cause of 2-3 posts here every week!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back